Textkit Logo

House, masculine or feminine?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

House, masculine or feminine?

Postby aemilius » Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:10 am

Hello, <br /><br />I have found 2 greek words for house - masculine and feminine: <br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=18]oi=)koj[/face][/size] and<br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=18]oi)ki/a[/face][/size]<br /><br />Is there any difference in meaning like home and house or they are interchangeable?<br /><br />Thanks
phpbb
aemilius
Textkit Neophyte

Re:House, masculine or feminine?

Postby annis » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:27 pm

[quote author=aemilius link=board=2;threadid=205;start=0#979 date=1056787844]<br />I have found 2 greek words for house - masculine and feminine: <br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=18]oi=)koj[/face][/size] and<br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=18]oi)ki/a[/face][/size]<br /><br />Is there any difference in meaning like home and house or they are interchangeable?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />You know, I've never thought to look this up, though I've noticed it before.<br /><br />It seems that [face=SPIonic]oi)=koj[/face] can mean house or home, but also buildings/rooms associated with a house; it can also refer to a temple. From the "room" idea, [face=SPIonic]oi)=koi[/face] can refer to a single house.<br /><br />It seems that [face=SPIonic]oi)ki/a[/face] mostly referes to the "home" idea: can be the building, but also means household, or even family from which one is descended, or the people in a family.<br /><br />Confusingly, there is also a neuter diminutive of [face=SPIonic]oi)koj[/face] - [face=SPIonic]oiki/on[/face] - which is used in the plural only giving [face=SPIonic]oi)ki/a[/face]. This one means specifically a dwelling.<br /><br />Additionally, there is [face=SPIonic]dw=ma, dw/mata[/face], which also has a tendency to refer to a room (the main room, in this case), so once again the plural can refer to a single house. Again, can mean family. The diminutive of this means "room" - [face=SPIonic]dwma/tion[/face]. Finally, in Homer you can shorten this to a Homer Simpson-esque [face=SPIonic]dw=[/face]!
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby vinobrien » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:16 am

I thought [face=SPIonic]dw/mata[/face] had the sense of a mansion or a big house in Homer. Calypso invites Odysseus to stay in her [face=SPIonic]dw/mata[/face] which, since it belongs to a [face=SPIonic]dia qeawn[/face], I assumed was quite palatial. But you never can tell with the non-Olympian ones and she does complain to Hermes that he never comes to visit.<br /><br />Now, what word is used for Odysseus's home...
phpbb
vinobrien
Textkit Member

Postby annis » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:52 pm

I'd never noticed that before, but sure enough, Autenrieth gives "mansion" as one of the definitions for [face=SPIonic]dw/mata[/face].<br /><br />Then there's the set phrase [face=SPIonic])Olu/mpia dw/mat' e)/xontej[/face] for the gods, which implies a certain loftiness.<br /><br />I'll have to pay close attention to these words now while I read.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby aemilius » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:35 pm

William, <br />thanks for the thorough explanation. It helps a lot.<br /><br />aemilius
phpbb
aemilius
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek