Les Belles Lettres

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Les Belles Lettres

Post by Osterdeich »

Hi all,

Through Amazon.fr I ordered Chronographie ou Histoire d'un siècle de Byzance (976–1077) tomes 1 et 2. They were much less expensive than the official website's retail cost (€21.96 each instead of €51 each). These are Les Belles Lettres editions, associated with Budé.

These books are beautiful! The Greek is in a very readable font and the French translation and introductory material is most helpful.

I've posted a few pictures below. If anyone has any experience with any of the books in the line, I'd like to hear all about it. I tried to get them as clear as possible with my Blackberry camera phone.

pster
Textkit Zealot

Re: Les Belles Lettres

Post by pster »

I have Polybius VI from Les Belles Lettres and it is very nice. Some of them are the best texts available. You just have to read the reviews. Yours look very nice. You probably got a good price because the audience for those must be tiny. What is it? A chronicle like the Anglo-Saxon chronicles?

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Les Belles Lettres

Post by Osterdeich »

Hi pster,

Thank you for your reply. These books are a contemporary history of the Byzantine Empire by Michael Psellos. He describes the emperors during the century before up to his day. I believe he was a monk in his lifetime, which was about a thousand years ago.

Because I am interested in the Byzantine world, I also have my eye on The Alexiad by Anna Comnena.