Hello, everyone

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Hello, everyone

Post by bingley »

My name is Bingley and I am sinking back into my ancient world addiction. <br /><br />I studied Latin and Greek to A Level at school, but seem to have forgotten most of what I ever knew. I'm slowly piecing the scattered fragments of knowledge back again, and am glad to have found a site where I can meet like-minded people.

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Hello, everyone

Post by Erica »

HI Bingley<br />I am in the same boat! I studied Latin in Jr./Sr. Highschool in the USA and forgot most of it in college as I studied other things...now I'm getting back in to classics and find this site a great help, as well as fun. <br />Erica

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Thanks for the welcome, Erica. <br /><br />I'm English, now living in Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia. I used to be an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teacher but am now working in a law firm, where I am basically their general resource on the English language. I check what they write in English, and do some English language teaching and translating from Bahasa Indonesia to English.<br /><br />I did French at school as well as Latin and Greek, and can still stagger through a French text if I have to. I lived in Spain for 9 months and for a while could stagger through Spanish books, but even staggering is beyond me now.<br /><br />

thomist44
Textkit Neophyte

Post by thomist44 »

Hey, so you know bout three languages? I've studied Latin for two years now in high-school and have a proficiencyto get me through ALMOST any text with a good dictionary. But I've actually always had an interest in Bahasa INdonesian and wanted to learn that along with several OTHER languages including Latin and Greek. As of right now, I onl really speak english and am improving rapidly in Latin. But I guess I just wanted to say that the fact that you know so many languages is cool, esp. INdonesian.

aesthetics
Textkit Neophyte

Post by aesthetics »

greetings to u kind sir...... ;)

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

[Blue]Greetings to you both, Thomist44 and aesthetics.[/blue]

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Well Bingley, it's great to see some more people who have gone back to study after many years away from school. Looking at the books I have collected over the years I can see that I had kept an interest in ancient languages and history, it just took a lot of years to get to a stage where I could find the time to get around to studying again (after computer studies then a music performance course which took years.) I am now in my first year at university and just loving it. I think that, like youth, studying is wasted on the young! ;) Although I must say I miss those all night student parties of my teenage years - oh well, can't have it all!