"Scanned" text of Homeric Greek

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

"Scanned" text of Homeric Greek

Post by CanadianGirl »

Hi-has anybody seen the scanned version of Pharr-Homeric Greek? My old paperback copy is really falling apart-need a new copy, & i notice the "scanned" version is cheaper than the original. Wonder about the quality though, if it's quality printing or not. Any thoughts? Thank you!

jswilkmd
Textkit Neophyte

Re: "Scanned" text of Homeric Greek

Post by jswilkmd »

This is what one reviewer at amazon specifically said about the scanned version you asked about:
Actually, I think very highly of the text itself, and largely agree with the praise most reviewers have given to this book. However, the quality of Kessinger Publishing's reprint is so far below that of the University of Oklahoma edition of some years back that I strongly discourage purchasing it. What they are offering here is actually a poorly photocopied version of a marked-up used copy! Moreover, it does not include the revisions that John Wright made to update Clyde Pharr's original text for the Oklahoma edition. There is no point whatever in producing an unpresentable version of an out-of-date text. Students of Homeric Greek should seek out either a used edition of the Oklahoma edition (in reasonable shape) or a modern text.

Kessinger has played a useful role in reprinting otherwise unavailable books (e.g., an early novel of Dostoyevsky), but I cannot see any value in this edition at all. I am returning mine. I think the Amazon page should provide some warning about the quality of the book (as Kessinger actually does on the reverse side of the cover page).
There is a used one in very good condition for only $10.75 at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

Hope this was helpful,

Jim

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

Yes-thanks! I will order the used copy instead-I knew it was too good to be true! Paige.

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

There is a new edition of Pharr's Homeric Greek coming out in April according to Amazon. From the website:

Paperback: 456 pages
Publisher: University of Oklahoma Press; Fourth Edition (April 2, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0806141646
ISBN-13: 978-0806141640

Book Description
Publication Date: April 2, 2012 | ISBN-10: 0806141646 | ISBN-13: 978-0806141640 | Edition: Fourth Edition

Notable features of this new edition include:
· Clear definitions of grammatical terms and explanations of forms and syntax
· Easy-to-read charts of grammatical paradigms
· A new reference map of the Aegean region, including sites mentioned in the first book of the Iliad
· An index of the book’s section on grammar
· A larger, more attractive format for the entire text, including more legible Greek characters

Not sure if I can post links yet because I am a newbie, so just go to Amazon…you'll see it in the search results for Homeric Greek.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Osterdeich wrote:There is a new edition of Pharr's Homeric Greek coming out in April according to Amazon. From the website:

Paperback: 456 pages
Publisher: University of Oklahoma Press; Fourth Edition (April 2, 2012)
Well, that's great. It's nice to know this book is being updated a bit, but still keeping its core benefit. The OUP page mentions that the first forty chapters have expanded intro material. That will help autodidacts who haven't had other inflected languages yet, I hope.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Ahab
Textkit Member

Post by Ahab »

Good news indeed. Perhaps it would be an opportune time to start a new study group after the new edition is released.
Why, he's at worst your poet who sings how Greeks
That never were, in Troy which never was,
Did this or the other impossible great thing!
---Robert Browning

-------------------------------------------------------
Hal Friederichs

Diane Cotts
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diane Cotts »

I hope you'll consider buying our new, offset edition of the 4th edition. We think this is an improved edition of a great work. The publication date is set for early April - with books to ship from our warehouse in mid-March. Diane Cotts, Asst Director/Chief Financial Officer, University of Oklahoma Press

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

Diane Cotts wrote:I hope you'll consider buying our new, offset edition of the 4th edition. We think this is an improved edition of a great work. The publication date is set for early April - with books to ship from our warehouse in mid-March.
Diane, thanks for posting with your thoughts. I have the Pharr book (earlier edition) and I refresh my Greek from time to time using it. I definitely plan to get the new edition.

When Amazon sends it (I've pre-ordered it) I will post here with my observations for all. It says I will receive it around 04 April, two days after the release.

Cheers!

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

It seems the release has been delayed with no new date listed.

Ahab
Textkit Member

Post by Ahab »

Osterdeich wrote:It seems the release has been delayed with no new date listed.
It's now out. Just received my copy direct from O.U. Press this afternoon. Since you pre-ordered it from Amazon, you should have your copy in hand very soon.
My initial reactions are very positive. Overall the layout is very nice. Some very helpful grammatical comments right at the beginning of the book.
One small critique: although much more legible, the greet text is rather small. Considering the enlarged size of the book and that this is intended for beginning readers of Homer I am a little surprised they didn't go for a larger font.
Why, he's at worst your poet who sings how Greeks
That never were, in Troy which never was,
Did this or the other impossible great thing!
---Robert Browning

-------------------------------------------------------
Hal Friederichs

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

One small critique: although much more legible, the greet text is rather small. Considering the enlarged size of the book and that this is intended for beginning readers of Homer I am a little surprised they didn't go for a larger font.
λελύπημαι. τὰ γὰρ μακρὰ γράμματα δεῖ ἔχειν.

{ I'm disappointed. A large font is a must. }
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

debbiek1945
Textkit Neophyte

Post by debbiek1945 »

Found an original one at my local book store : )

motchmaster
Textkit Neophyte

Post by motchmaster »

Ahab wrote:
I just got mine last weekend. While it is true that the book is, surprisingly, large (I should've read the dimensions, I almost jumped at the sight!), I have 0 problems making out the diacritics (Unlike the textkit pdf, no offense). I just now managed to read-out-loud Greek on sight, I think. Well worth it. I wish it was available in hardcover, and audio recordings.

peterr89
Textkit Neophyte

Post by peterr89 »

I will order the used copy instead-I knew it was too good to be true!