Help for latin accent(intonation) and alphabet

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
silentprayer2
Textkit Neophyte

Help for latin accent(intonation) and alphabet

Post by silentprayer2 »

Hello. I am doing a research for the Latin language. I am learning Latin at school but not with many details, and with no alphabet or Latin accent. So i would like to ask about the Latin accent and the alphabet (to start learning a new language you need to start with the basics.)
So how does the Latin accent works?

P.S.: I have read the books on textkit about latin but they're on a whole different level of english for me. I am not a native english speaker so excuse me for my mistakes.
Thanks in advance.

MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help for latin accent(intonation) and alphabet

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

In monosyllabic words, the accent is obvious. In disyllabics and polysyllabic words, the penultimate is stressed if long or followed by two syllables (like crescentes), otherwise the antepultimate gets the stress. E.g. impudicus, laudabo, hortorum, proclivis, etc... are stressed on the penultimate; homines, capsula, epistola, virium, facio, etc are accented on the antepultimate regardless of vowel length.

Others will add their statements.

Grochojad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Grochojad »

MatthaeusLatinus wrote: the penultimate is stressed if long or followed by two syllables (like crescentes)
I guess you meant "by two consonants, unless the first one is a plosive and the second an r or l" :wink:

MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

Ita vero, gratias pro emendatione!