φαίνω with different tense (Phaedo 58a)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
garfield2244
Textkit Neophyte

φαίνω with different tense (Phaedo 58a)

Post by garfield2244 »

Hello all,

ναί, ταῦτα μὲν ἡμῖν ἤγγειλέ τις, καὶ ἐθαυμάζομέν γε ὅτι πάλαι γενομένης αὐτῆς πολλῷ ὕστερον φαίνεται ἀποθανών. τί οὖν ἦν τοῦτο, ὦ Φαίδων;

Just making sure about something...

My question is: φαίνεται is in the present, and ἀποθανών is a second aorist participle, so you'd have to translate it something like "he appears, having died," which Hansen and Quinn, in their discussion on φαίνω, would turn into "it appears that he died." Altogether it goes: "...and we wondered that, [the trial] itself having taken place long before, it appears he died much later." That works, right?

(Just as an aside, I think this is a little bit of a support to my contention in a recent thread that δίκη was the subject of the last sentence)

Also, have I now gone over the limit for n00b question frequency? I can control myself if necessary.

I think.

Thanks again,

-g

pster
Textkit Zealot

Re: φαίνω with different tense (Phaedo 58a)

Post by pster »

With a supplementary participle, it means clearly, or obviously. So I would translate it as obviously he died much later.