Reading Greek: Text and Vocabulary vs. Athenaze

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
gigas phoberos
Textkit Neophyte

Reading Greek: Text and Vocabulary vs. Athenaze

Post by gigas phoberos »

I originally started with Athenaze but have switched to Reading Greek: Text and Vocabulary as my primary study material. I think it's much better, I like the format and there's more reading material, which I like. I also have the Reading Greek Grammer and Exercises and have An Independent Study Guide to Reading Greek on back order from Amazon.

What do you think? which book do you use?

jk0592
Textkit Member

Re: Reading Greek: Text and Vocabulary vs. Athenaze

Post by jk0592 »

This can only be decided by yourself, you choose what works best for you. I went with Athenaze.
Whatever your choice, stick with it until the end. All authors will cover roughly the same topics. The paths they follow differ of course, but overall the knowledge transmitted is more or less equivalent.
Jean K.

Lina
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lina »

I'll finish Athenaze II this summer, and I'm looking to review material and add some vocabulary.

I'm tempted to try JACT for review, especially if the new edition is pretty and well-laid out.

Can anyone around here compare the difficulty, coverage, layout and so forth of the new JACT books with Athenaze?

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Post by rustymason »

I've been using John White's First Greek Book but am making slow progress. I'll pick it back up this Fall. The reading in JACT is more conversational than in traditional texts and, although more interesting, it seems harder. I'll keep referring to it because some of it is better presented than in JWW (and vice versa). I'm also attemting some elementary reading from the old Moss, Colson, Mayor, and Morice beginners' readers. You can download PDF's of these from books.Google.com or purchase new hardbound copies from online booksellers:

Moss:
http://books.google.com/books?id=-A4BAA ... eek+reader
FH Colson:
http://books.google.com/books?id=WqsBAA ... r&as_brr=1
John E.B Mayor:
http://books.google.com/books?id=SYoCAA ... ry_r&cad=0
Francis David Morice:
http://books.google.com/books?id=IaoBAA ... eek+reader

I tried to do Rouse's Greek Boy together with his old grammar and exercises but it quickly became too confusing for me. Maybe I'll try again later.

GraemeCarey
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GraemeCarey »

I have a preference for Reading Greek, but, to be honest, I can't say it is in any way superior to Athenaze.

Athenaze is used by London University's Classics Department. So that must be a recommendation.

However, what I like about Reading Greek is the optional extras - The Independent Study Guide and CD - very useful if studying at home.

Basically, you pays your money and takes your choice.

N.B. It is important that British students use the UK Edition (marked as such on the cover) of Athenaze.

daler
Textkit Neophyte

Post by daler »

GraemeCarey wrote:I have a preference for Reading Greek, but, to be honest, I can't say it is in any way superior to Athenaze.

Athenaze is used by London University's Classics Department. So that must be a recommendation.

However, what I like about Reading Greek is the optional extras - The Independent Study Guide and CD - very useful if studying at home.

Basically, you pays your money and takes your choice.

N.B. It is important that British students use the UK Edition (marked as such on the cover) of Athenaze.
Why is there a difference between the UK and US edition of Athenaze and why is it important?