indirect speech in Iliad 1:110-115

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

indirect speech in Iliad 1:110-115

Post by Bert »

I would consider the sentence from line 110 to the first two words of line 113 indirect speech.
How about from there to the end of line 115?
In other words, is Aggamemnon saying; 'I certainly prefer the girl to my wife..... 'or is it; ' You Calchas, said that I certainly prefer the girl to my wife.....'

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Bert,

I would agree that lines 110 through half of 113 constitute a kind of indirect statement: "...prophesying among the Danaans you say that..". But with the parenthesis starting in the second half of 113 we are back to first person narrative. Agamemnon is stating what he himself wants.

Cordially,

Paul

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Paul wrote:Hi Bert,

But with the parenthesis starting in the second half of 113....
Paul
There are no parenthesis in my copy.
Thanks.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Bert wrote: There are no parenthesis in my copy.
Thanks.
Hi Bert,

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. There aren't any parentheses in my copy of Pharr either :D. I meant only a parenthetical remark, an aside. Maybe I used the wrong term to describe the change in Agamemnon's speech.

Cordially,

Paul

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I see.

Is logic the only indication where indirect speech stops and direct speech takes over, or is there some grammatical indication?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Bert wrote:Is logic the only indication where indirect speech stops and direct speech takes over, or is there some grammatical indication?
Whoo, boy. Indirect discourse is always fun in Greek and Latin. Smyth devotes twelve pages to it (584-596). Sense is often a good hint, but usually changes in construction (inf + accusative) or mood are the better clue. Unfortunately this passage doesn't show that very well.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;