It might be a coincidence but...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

It might be a coincidence but...

Post by 1%homeless »

Is this a coincidence or have I discovered a fun philological tid bit? In the nominative case, quae is plural neuter and feminine singular. In the nominative case, haec is plural neuter and feminine singular. I would like to include ea and illa too, but almost all neuter plurals in the nominative end in a.

Whether it is an unexplainable coincidence or not, it at least helps me remember the pronouns :-)

Quis doesn’t count because it’s not a true feminine form ;-)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yep, I have always thought that was helpful.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

:shock:

NstayWL
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NstayWL »

Maybe not so much a coincidence but evidence of how language develops. I always found that it was helpful to think across declensions (that is, examine one case and number in each declension). While we memorized them in our early latin days as individual declensions, I find similarities such as the one you pointed out become more evident when thinking across the declensions.