WPM Poll

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

How many words per minute do you type?

Below 20
No votes
20-30
6%
30-40
31%
40-50
13%
50-60
13%
60-70
6%
70-80
19%
80-90
No votes
90-100
No votes
100+ (waow!)
13%

Total votes: 16

benissimus
Global Moderator

WPM Poll

Post by benissimus »

Well, what is it? :)

Benissimus types at 73-78 WPM.
Last edited by benissimus on Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: WPM Poll

Post by mariek »

benissimus wrote:Benissimus types at 73 WPM.
I guess this means you don't "hunt and peck"... :D

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Well... I do plenty of pecking, just quick pecking :lol: And I do have to hunt for numbers and symbols... I just can't get the hang of those :(

The fastest typist I know can actually type at 136 WPM, so I'm not that fast myself... maybe I should get him to put my Wheelock exercises up here ^_^
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

When I went to school I had a typing cource. I did very poorly. At one point the teacher came up to me and said: "If you quit now I'll give you your money back." I figured that was more than a hint, so I took the money and ran.
Years later I got my hands on a 'learn it yourself typing book'. Now I can type without having to look at the key board but I certainly am not fast. About 25 wpm.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I'm quite fast - just the numbers and all that! You're not the only one that hates them, benissimus. I taught myself with a free programme, but it was a bit funny, because it was only for the UK keyboard and I've got the German one of course :P. The letters weren't too bad, only the z and the x are in different places, but the symbols were just impossible, so I skipped the numbers and symbols chapters.
Last edited by Emma_85 on Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

benissimus wrote:Well... I do plenty of pecking, just quick pecking :lol: And I do have to hunt for numbers and symbols... I just can't get the hang of those :(

We were required to take a typing class in 9th grade. We learned on those IBM electric typewriters. We all took the class grudgingly. Didn't realize what a benefit this was until college when I had to write so many papers!

So now I can touch type pretty fast in English. I type much slower in French because I have to hit Fn-NumLk plus the Alt codes for accented characters (I'm using a laptop with the embedded keypad, not an external keyboard).

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Bert wrote: At one point the teacher came up to me and said: "If you quit now I'll give you your money back." I figured that was more than a hint, so I took the money and ran.

You're too funny... :lol:

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Anyone who wants to test their WPM can try this website : http://www.typingtest.com/index.asp?go=typetest

You can choose a 1 min, 2 min, or 3 min test, then choose a text to practice with. You'll get more accurate results with a longer test time.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

benissimus wrote:^_^
Hey, where did you pick up this emoticon? I thought it was a local invention(with many of its variations; ^_^ :a shy smile, -_- : dumbfound, etc.)), not international.

We call the "hunt and peck" as an "eagle typing" here. And I've just graduated the eagle school and use all my fingers, but still have to cast the eye-sight somewhere over the keyboard.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Alas, I type between seventy and eighty words a minute (after adjusting for errors), rather than the one hundred plus that I'm working towards. I type every day, of course, since I'm a writer, but I don't type as much as I should in order to get up there to 100. Ask me this question in a few more months... :)

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Wow I didn't realise I was so slow. I type about 55 wpm after correction.
Oh well, it was good enough to get me a job, I guess I don't need to worry about it. but you guys are great!
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I learned how to type quickly by spending lots of time in IRC chat rooms while I was in college... when you are attempting to keep up with the conversations in several busy rooms at once, fast typing is a must! (also, I'm a programmer ;)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Ah, necessity is the second best teacher. I'll have to add that in my signature. 8)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Well, you need to do something while you wait for stuff to compile... :wink:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

After taking errors into account the test puts me at 45 to 50 WPM.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Emma_85 wrote:After taking errors into account the test puts me at 45 to 50 WPM.

Not to worry ... I'm sure Johnny doesn't mind. :wink:

BTW, I caught The Ninth Gate on cable a while back. I just couldn't get into it. However, I do want to see Pirates of the Caribbean, which looks like lots of fun.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

I was at 76 for the test. I did the Huckleberry Finn one and kept automatically correcting his grammar which of course destroyed my score. Ah well!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I didn't like the 9th Gate that much, either. Pirates of the Caribbean is good, you've got to see it :) .

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Pirates of the Caribbean rocks. I just bought it esterday. Although I must say Orlando is way cooler than Johnny in this one.

sorry that was completely off topic but I'm finished now :)