Substantive adj. not agreeing with rel. pronoun, Phaedo 57a

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
garfield2244
Textkit Neophyte

Substantive adj. not agreeing with rel. pronoun, Phaedo 57a

Post by garfield2244 »

Hello all,

As this is my first substantive (I'm sorry, I kill myself) post at TextKit, please discipline me accordingly. That being said...

Phado 57a: τί οὖν δή ἐστιν ἅττα εἶπεν ὁ ἀνὴρ πρὸ τοῦ θανάτου;

The way I'm translating it now I have τί as a substantive, so it should read something like: "What, then, is that which the man spoke before his death?" I'm bothered, however, that ἅττα, which I think is being used as a rel. pro. without the "whatever" sense, is plural. Is this a regular usage?

Thanks for your help,

-g

pster
Textkit Zealot

Re: Substantive adj. not agreeing with rel. pronoun, Phaedo

Post by pster »

garfield2244 wrote:Hello all,

As this is my first substantive (I'm sorry, I kill myself) post at TextKit, please discipline me accordingly. That being said...

Phado 57a: τί οὖν δή ἐστιν ἅττα εἶπεν ὁ ἀνὴρ πρὸ τοῦ θανάτου;

The way I'm translating it now I have τί as a substantive, so it should read something like: "What, then, is that which the man spoke before his death?" I'm bothered, however, that ἅττα, which I think is being used as a rel. pro. without the "whatever" sense, is plural. Is this a regular usage?

Thanks for your help,

-g
Neuter plural nouns take singular verbs. ἅττα is neuter plural. I studied Greek for a year and a half or more before I realized I had overlooked this quirk. Presumably the neuter plural was originally thought of as a general idea. I'd like it better if Plato did't use the singular τί , but it doesn't surprise me. If you dig around in Smyth, you might find something more detailed.