Future optative of "to be"?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
pster
Textkit Zealot

Future optative of "to be"?

Post by pster »

The future perfect active is usually formed periphrastically (unlike the m/p), but is there a future perfect active optative? To form it, you would need to add the perfect participle to the future optative of "to be." Mastronarde says on p. 320, "The future perfect active indicative (or opt.) is normally formed periphrastically, from perfect active participle plus future indicative (or opt.) of eimi."

Is this right?? Is this possible?? Can somebody point me to this future optative form of eimi??

Thanks in advance.

Baker
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Future optative of "to be"?

Post by Baker »

See Smyth 600 and 768. The first person singular future optative of εἰμί is ἐσοίμην.

Eliot

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

Argh. I knew I had to be wrong. But why would it use secondary endings? I searched for esoimi on perseus.

Baker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Baker »

pster wrote:But why would it use secondary endings?
Again from Smyth (805), "Many verbs have no active future, but use instead the future middle in an active sense."

I don't pretend to know why with any certainty but I would think that it has to do with the fact that the subject is participating in the action of the verb. In Modern Greek, the verb "to be" has secondary endings in all tenses. Instead of εἰμί, it is είμαι.

Eliot

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

Good hypothesis. I may have some more thoughts in the near future as I am slightly drunk on verbs this week.

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

Sorry but just to be clear, is there a reason the optative future becomes εσοίμην rather than εσοίμαι? Ready with my Smyth thanks!

Baker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Baker »

Helikwps wrote:Sorry but just to be clear, is there a reason the optative future becomes εσοίμην rather than εσοίμαι? Ready with my Smyth thanks!

See Smyth 462. -μην is the proper ending for the optative, whereas -μαι would work for the subjunctive.

Eliot

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

Ach, thanks so much for this!