the expression "cum data fuerit"

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
spqr
Textkit Fan

the expression "cum data fuerit"

Post by spqr »

The Vatican issued this decree in the 1930s reminding Eastern Rite Catholics that the ban against married priests outside the patriarchal territories (Europe and the Middle East) was still in full force so as not to upset Latin Rite (Roman Catholics) whose priests have been celibate for centuries. I have tried to translate it but without luck. Fuerit is the future perfect(will have been) and the cum is obvious but I can think of several possibilities for data. The best I can come up with is " since it will have been done" but it does not really sound right. Any suggestions? Thanks.

phil96
Textkit Neophyte

Re: the expression "cum data fuerit"

Post by phil96 »

spqr wrote:Fuerit is the future perfect(will have been)
Could also be (perfect) subjunctive, especially with the cum.
Merry Christmas!

phil96
Textkit Neophyte

Re: the expression "cum data fuerit"

Post by phil96 »

Further thoughts.
I believe papal documents are named simply after their first few words. Do you have the complete latin text, or even the first paragraph? It's a bit hard without any context.

My speculation, for what it's worth, is that the expression might be a future temporal cum clause, where the future perfect indicative is often used, especially when it is followed by a main clause whose action is dependent on completion of the cum clause's action, such as
When x has been given, then y will happen
where x is some suitable ecclesiastical feminine noun agreeing with data (perhaps gratia - grace?). But all this is a very long shot when we have only three words!