New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
JimC
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by JimC »

I'm here trying to learn Latin, more or less for educational purposes. I'm past my prime, but would love to become more knowledgeable about the language.

justinlsmith
Textkit Neophyte

Post by justinlsmith »

Avete omnes. I am a long-time fan of this website but I never got around to registering. I figured it was finally time I did. I am far more proficient in Latin than I am in classical Greek (I speak modern Greek quite well however). I would like to rectify that and intend to, if my copy of Hansen and Quinn would ever get here. Greetings to everyone.

mickeyrory
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mickeyrory »

I want to better understand Greek to help me in New Testament study. I am a novice to Greek so any suggestions as to books that might help me would be appreciated. I'm looking forward to throwing out some questions but I doubt at this point that I can offer any input that would help others.

ZeliaTheb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ZeliaTheb »

I'm a college level Latin student, I've been interested in Latin since high school. I can't fit any more Latin into my college schedule, though, so I'm continuing studying Latin on my own. But you need help for that if you're stuck, right? So that's why I'm here.

Baker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Baker »

Hello,

My name is Eliot and I am a lover of classics and philosophy. I took 3 semesters of Latin and 2 of Greek in college and have read a smattering of authors since that time. I have a BA in Humanities with a concentration in History and a MA in Liberal Arts focused on Western Classics. I enjoy reading Greek especially and am seeking to improve my ability. Hence, I have come to this forum as a way to achieve my goal.

Aside from my interest in classics, I am an artisan bread baker, working and living in Butte, MT.

Greetings and best wishes to all!

Eliot

Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

I had quite idiotically attempted to post this as a new thread last night, and woke up with a cold sweat when I realized my mistake. If you know me, you would know that I'm only exaggerating slightly. I attribute my idiocy to the grogginess that accompanies late-night posting.

Hello, salvete, and whatever the Greek equivalent is. As to that last point, that is why I'm here - to be a fly on the wall and learn a thing or two about Greek.
mihi iussa capessere fas est

LizzzyBF
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LizzzyBF »

Hello,
I'm a high school student in New Zealand.
I've been teaching myself Latin during these school holidays. I had a friend who was doing it with me but she's busier than I am and found it too difficult I'm on my own now.
I'm planning on taking Latin at University next year, but I want to learn some myself now, because I've enjoyed what I've done so far.
I'm interested in Latin for many reasons. I want to be able to read Latin texts, but I'm also interested in learning it as a sort of "brain-training" thing, if that makes any sense at all.
I'm interested in Greek as well, but I'm not quite insane enough to try to learn both at once.

Dracodon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dracodon »

Hello,

I am learning Greek. I hope that taking part in this forum will help me to improve my knowledge of the Greek language.

Dracodon

doryds
Textkit Neophyte

Post by doryds »

Hi all. I have developed an interest in learning to read Greek, in order to read ancient Greek literature. I have been following Pharr's Homeric Greek in the hope that I will be able to read the Iliad. I am already quite familiar with the plot of Iliad, having read both Lattimore's and Lombardo's translation. Perhaps one day I might read some Plato or Aristotle, though that will depend on how I do with the Iliad. I must admit it is exhilarating reading something that was written almost 3000 years ago.

garfield2244
Textkit Neophyte

Post by garfield2244 »

Hello,

Just another tough who, having gone through Hansen and Quinn, is trying to get a grip on some Plato. That might sound somewhat ridiculous, but I learn languages best that way--jump into the literature, I say (for myself).

Thanks for your help!

-g

Brittney
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brittney »

Hi, My name is Brittney. I am learning Latin in school and just wanna get help with it whenever and.
Sum non Nauta. Ego Sum poeta. :D

Benson Shays
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Benson Shays »

Hello Everyone,

My name's Cameron. I'm a brand new Greek student. I'm very interested in New Testament history, so learning Koine Greek seems like a very good idea. I'm working out of David Alan Black's Learn To Read New Testament Greek. I look forward to participating in this forum.

Noeticus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Noeticus »

Hi everyone!

I'm a 21 year old mathematical physics major - I completed intermediate Greek in my electives. I'm currently working through a beginners text book in Latin as well as the first book of Lingua Latina for reading. I also study German and Italian in my spare time. I speak English and Modern Greek.

P.S. I'm in love with Homer.
Παρ' Εὐκλείδη τις ἀρξάμενος γεωμετρεῖν, ὡς τὸ πρῶτον θεώρημα ἔμαθεν, ἤρετο τὸν Εὐκλείδην - "τί δέ μοι πλέον ἔσται ταῦτα μαθόντι;" καὶ ὁ Εὐκλείδης τὸν παῖδα καλέσας "δός," ἔφη, "αὐτῷ τριώβολον, ἐπειδὴ δεῖ αὐτῷ ἐξ ὧν μανθάνει κερδαίνειν.

silentprayer2
Textkit Neophyte

Post by silentprayer2 »

Hallo I am Alex. I live in Greece and I'm half Italian. So I love Ancient Greek and Latin. In the future I want to be a ancient greek and latin professor and I'm searching ways to make those magical languages intersting to students. I hope I get along with other textkit members.

JMHarmon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JMHarmon »

Hello world!

My name is Jeff. I stumbled across Textkit a few months ago as I was trying to find some Ancient Greek textbooks and primers, and this seems like the right place for questions and advice. I'm currently writing a novel involving Greek gods in modern New York, so my interest in AG stems from that and, previously, a years-long love of languages and mythology. Admittedly my Latin is a bit stronger, but so far I'm on the level of reading the characters and recognizing the occasional word/stem, but I'm struggling with the cases and endings.

Baillie
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Baillie »

I live in Ireland.
I completed some courses in Latin and Greek with the Open University when I retired from teaching. I am also interested in Biblical Greek and bought the Mounce texts to study.

John W.
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by John W. »

Hello, everyone. By way of introduction: I studied Classics at Uni back in the 1970s, but thereafter largely let it lie fallow until about ten years ago, when I revived my old interest in Thucydides. I'm now reading him through in Greek for the fourth time, and also revising my English translation, on which I've been working concurrently.

I look forward to discussing Thucydides, and other topics, on here with you all!

Best wishes,

John

Rosalie
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rosalie »

Hi everyone,
Im Rosalie a newbie here. I want to learn latin, and tried to find a great site that can help me. Hopes to learn a lot here. Thanks.

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Introduction

Post by Osterdeich »

καίρετε!

I am an amateur Hellenist with varied non-related interests, including a strong and insistent love of those little raspberry flavored jelly rings covered in a thin shell of dark chocolate. I hereby certify that I am not a spammer and promise to uphold the rules of the Textkit forum.

Warm regards to all.

MarcJohn
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MarcJohn »

Hello everybody,

I'm teaching myself some Latin. Some day I hope to be able to read Augustine's Confessiones. In the mean time, I'll be seeking some help in this place. I look forward to meeting some of you.

Regards,
Marc John.

bibliomane74
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bibliomane74 »

Well, to introduce myself, I am a 37 yo physician who spent way too much time in school learning math and science and missed out on much of what the classical tradition has to offer. However, I am trying to fill in that gap - and have spent much time reading, in translation, some great classics. But that hasn't been enough and I feel a sense of loss for what older education used to impart. A solid base in the Trivium, so to speak. A foundation of Greek and Latin, and a "breat books" type of approach. So, maybe I can fill in some of that on my own, and it sure seems that this is a great place to get some help.

I have decided to start with a few books and have ordered them:
Pharr - Homeric Greek
Beetham - Beginning Greek with Homer
Jones - Learn Ancient Greek

I also have a copy of Betts - Teach Yourself: Ancient Greek

Yes, I seem to be starting with Homer, but I think a chronological approach seems appropriate, plus I think I have a better understanding of Homer in translation and would maintain interest more easily.

And that seems to be the rub - maintaining interest and motivation. Hopefully being on here will help.

Thanks for listening (reading...).

eldershima
Textkit Neophyte

Post by eldershima »

Salvate!

My name is Brian. I've learned Portuguese and Spanish and would love to master Latin. I stumbled upon this forum and am glad I did. I hope I'll be able to help out others as I learn more!

Cheiromancer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cheiromancer »

I'm a graduate student in philosophy, and recently I've been doing a lot more work with Aristotle (and some Plato). I've decided to brush up on my Greek! I am from western Canada originally, but I live in upstate New York.

canerik
Textkit Neophyte

Post by canerik »

Hi everyone!
I've just started to study ancient Greek; and I think, this site is great for sharing our experiences while learning such a rich and yet difficult language.

Peach
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Peach »

Hi,

Peach checking in. I'm just beginning to delve into Latin and enjoying it so far.

JennaRose
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JennaRose »

Salvete omnes,

Meum nomen est Domina Aquila, Jenna. Habito Nasburgi, Tenesia.
Mea lingua latina est mala; me oportet exercere.

Vale optime
Jenna

warrenwr
Textkit Neophyte

Post by warrenwr »

Well, hello ... I feel a little out of my element, so many of you come at this from such a scholarly approach, my own interest is more nostalgic. I first had exposure to Latin in 1965 in Hawaii in a private Lutheran school because the public school system in Hawaii was (at best) dismal ... I was 12 or so, but something about Latin that I had picked up on several failed language studies ... notably Spanish and French ... suddenly made sense! Germanic words that I had often wondered about fell into place, some Russian words bore a surprising resemblance to Italian ... it was an eye opener, to be sure!

I'm not here as a linguist, but as someone who appreciates puzzles posed by images or words or (as I get a broader view of it) history, and language becomes more and more important to me and my work as they become more commingled. (Familiarity breeds content.)

I'm Bill Warren, a science fiction/fantasy/forensic/speculative science illustrator, professionally published since 1976. 19 years computer and traditional art and animation with The Boeing Company, tearsheets from Analog, Alfred Hitchcock's, Tomorrow, Amazing Stories, Writers Of The Future, Popular Mechanics, The American Review of Physics ... I have to become a weekend expert on everything from Egyptian (Coptic) heiroglyphics to steam locomotives from one assignment to the next.

Most of my authors double as academicians ... Harry Turtledove, Gerry Nordley come to mind ... and had it not been for my accidental introduction to Latin I might not have understood about half of the humor that bandies about in some circles. It is also a great source for the satisfaction of curiosity and, I've found, an opportunity to bridge gaps with languages that are similarly rooted (Portuguese v Spanish, e.g.) but the root language is Latin!

So, I come here sort of as a pointless seeker, a self-instructed dimwit who grasps that there are threads of culture seldom appreciated and sometimes barely realized in mainstream culture, but as an appreciation for the value of history grows, so does the necessity to understand the meaning of the words behind the culture. I'm the geek who audits a class on the history of the Byzantine Empire because my last class and my next class are in the same room next door and it's too damned hot to walk all the way to the canteen and back in an hour, and while it seemed like the semester lasted longer than Byzantium it still delivered gems from unexpected quarters later in life.

I am an illustrator. I read other people's words and translate them into images. Sometimes, these images are of a purely scientific nature. More often, they are works of prose or fiction, usually scientifically based but nonetheless subjective works, open to interpretation. The better I understand the written word and all its root implications, the more efficiently and clearly I can posit the correct illustrative approach.

Because yeah, I tried writing, and I don't have the knack. And it's not bad enough that I became an artist because a picture is worth a thousand words ... I went to work at The Boeing Company as a computer animator. Suddenly I could communicate 30,000 words per second! (video = 30 frames per second ... sorry, I just think that's a fun fact.)

I'm semi-retired these days, which gives me time to research my subjects a little more in depth than I had the luxury of enjoying a couple of decades ago. The more I learn, the more often I return to Latin. This article about the kinetic energy weapon* (the electromagnetic railgun) caught my eye because Dr. Gerald D. Nordley and I are working on an animation depicting the same type of device (on a much larger scale) to propel a starship to near relativistic speeds ... .8c, conservatively, over distance.

* And of course, I didn't save the URL about the Mach 7 linear motor. Their slogan was the straw that broke the artist's back, I had to find someplace to reconnect with the experts.

So, hello. I'm Bill Warren, and I'm an artist and illustrator and part time unwitting philologist.

warrenwr
Textkit Neophyte

Post by warrenwr »

I hope I didn't just disqualify myself by posting again, this is Bill Warren ("hi, bill"), but just reading through the newbie posts (wonderful! brilliant!) I found myself watching Graham Chapman painting "Romans Go Home!" all over again ("Monty Python: Life Of Brian") ... laughing to tears! "Latin is a language dead as dead can be, first it killed the Romans and now it's killing me!" I promise, I'm signing off now, but I had many fun moments reading through the introductions and wanted to remind everyone of that incredible Roman dawn in the depths of sanity (Catch-22) that was Monty Python.

How a few lively teachers might inspire an appetite! I was fortunate with my Latin teacher, he was a Lutheran minister but a Latin scholar, he made the words live for me. I was never by any sense of the word "fluent" but I used to be able to follow conversational Japanese as well, it's prone to atrophy like everything else. Building a Latin vocabulary is essential to understanding at least three quarters of the language used today worldwide, through actual vintage Latin or its derivative words, languages, or spin-off languages. (Esperanto, e.g.)

I don't remember a lot, specifically, but I remember "O, S, T, Mus, Tis, NT" and have correctly deciphered words in French and Spanish based on this conjugation. Learning Spanish is like fixing the engine of a car through the tailpipe: learning Latin (while frustrating) is understanding the carburetor, and with that fairly simple but tedious task out of the way, managing to understand how all the rest of the language engine works.1

DiscipulusAnonymus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by DiscipulusAnonymus »

Salve! :)

Discipulus linguae latinae sum. Tres annos, pervagata animadverti, sed linguam certo scire volo!

Vale!

JDAndrews
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JDAndrews »

Hello All,

My name is JD, and I was recently given a copy of Wheelock's Latin, as well as a workbook for it. A friend of mine suggested this forum to help me through it, and for help practicing as I learn.

DiscipulusAnonymus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by DiscipulusAnonymus »

Hi!

It is so nice to meet everyone! I have been studying Latin off and on for 10 years and am interested in learning the finer points of the Latin language.

~Discipulus

kreggurree
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kreggurree »

Hello Everybody,

I was a little naughty and forgot to read the rules and hence the prerequisite to post here :wink: .

Any way I am a 26 year old guy currently living in the Czech republic who loves to read, swing dance and play guitar with an affinity for all things geeky. I imagine I will be around for a while as I will be starting seminary in London in September (I hope) and so will be learning Koine greek through out my time there. The reason I found and then came to this site is because I really desire to go beyond the scope of what will be taught, firstly in that I would love to read many non biblical texts from that time as I love ancient history, and secondly in the long term I want to aim for more than just translation ability with tools but would like to be able to sit down and read for fun.

I look forward to joining you in learning this language.

Craig

serrol
Textkit Neophyte

Post by serrol »

Well hello there! I would like to drop by and say hi. I am new to the forum though have been in this inclination to learn a new language for quite a while now. I have learned Japanese and Korean throughout the course of the past year. It has been great and all that but I think that it is about time to learn Greek, now.

The inclination actually came from taking interest with Greek culture and everything in between.

Munchie33
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Munchie33 »

Hi all,

I studied Latin back in high school and am hoping to teach my daughter a little as well as brushing up on my own.

Cheerio!

latinconfusion
Textkit Neophyte

Post by latinconfusion »

Hi my name is Sarah. I just graduated university but am going to grad school in September. Trying to learn as much Latin as I can before then. I need all the help I can get. Which is why I'm here!

jonnybegood
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jonnybegood »

Greetings from Germany,
I have taken Latin in school for eight years and ancient greece since four years.
I am looking forward to engaging myself even further in ancient texts in the next years.

Carmen Miranda
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Carmen Miranda »

I am interested in how 'dead languages' live and curious what happens in a before seemingly closed society of those that do know these codes (no LAT/ GR in school). And opposed to what the UserName suggests: Bananas are not nu Business.