Roma Aeterna Vocabulary

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
chodorov
Textkit Neophyte

Roma Aeterna Vocabulary

Post by chodorov »

I'm currently working through Lingua Litine Part II. My question is, how advanced is the vocabulary in the book? Will I be able to move right into the classical authors with ease once I finish? I know that nobody ever "masters" the vocabulary of any language. I still have to look up English words in the dictionary quite frequently. But I'm sure everyone gets the gist of the question and any input would be appreciated.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Roma Aeterna Vocabulary

Post by thesaurus »

It's always difficult to say whether you will be able to transition into classical authors "with ease," but I'd say that the LL2 vocabulary is pretty comprehensive. In fact, I think a lot of people struggle through the latter parts of it because there is a lot of new vocabulary every chapter (compared to LL1, which is better at repeating core vocabulary frequently).

By the end of LL2 you should be able to read some of the standard classical authors (Livy, Cicero, Caesar...) without major issues. I think most of Orberg's modifications are grammatical in nature.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute