Metrical Greek Recordings?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Scribo
Global Moderator

Metrical Greek Recordings?

Post by Scribo »

Do we have any decent ones?
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Metrical Greek Recordings?

Post by spiphany »

Well, it depends. Are you looking for anything specific?
There's a fair amount of Homer available, both modern (stress-based) readings and recitations which attempt to use a quantitative rhythm.
If you're looking for other meters than dactylic hexameter, there's not quite as much out there.

In general I'd refer you to my link collection here: http://spiphanies.blogspot.com/2009/03/ ... greek.html
This list includes pretty much everything I've been able to find on the topic of ancient Greek recordings; if you want just verse, you'll have to sort through it a bit. The quality also varies a fair amount.

I'm hesitant to make recommendations because I don't feel qualified to evaluate recordings, and because it's going to depend a fair amount on personal preference. That said, there's a CD by Konrat Ziegler ("Griechische Verse - Griechische Prosa", Olms Verlag) which is about as good as anything I've heard for getting a sense of the rhythms of different meters. There's a bit of German when he introduces each selection, but mostly the texts stand for themselves. If you're interested drop me a line.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)