I can't work out this form:

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

I can't work out this form:

Post by bingley »

I've come across this sentence [keeping fingers crossed that I can type in Greek emoticon]:<br /><br />[size=150]ὁ διογένες, ἐρωτηθεὶς διὰ τί οἱ αθληταὶ αναίσθητοί εἰσιν, ἔφη ὅτι κρέασιν ὑείοις καὶ βοείοις ἀνῳκοδόμηνται .<br /><br />Could someone parse [size=150]ἀνῳκοδόμηνται for me please?<br /><br />[slumps in exhaustion emoticon]<br />

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:I can't work out this form:

Post by annis »

This is from [size=150]οἰκοδομέω compounded with [size=150]ἀνά.<br /><br />Where's the sentence coming from?
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Koala »

Could I have a go and suggest this might be:<br /> the indicative middle perfect third person plural of<br />[size=150] ἀνοικοδομέω <br />with a meaning something along the lines of:<br />they have built themselves up/ built up for themselves?

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=bingley link=board=2;threadid=194;start=0#921 date=1056282380]<br /><br />Could someone parse [size=150]ἀνῳκοδόμηνται for me please?<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />You're right, Koala. <br /><br />[size=150]ἀν ‐ ῳκοδόμη ‐ νται <br /><br />is, as you say, 3rd person plural, indicative, perfect, middle-passive voice (here the meaning is passive : "they have been built up"... from pork and beef, it is why they are so a)nai/sqhtoi)<br /><br /><br />Note that the structure e)/fh o(/ti is incorrect, as far as I know. It should be ei)=pen o(/ti - from le/gw - or e)/fh au)tou\s ... a)nw|kodomh=squai (fhmi/ + infinitive clause). See Goodwin § 1523<br /><br />Regards,<br />Fernand

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

3rd person plural perfect passive indicative was what I thought it must be, but shouldn't it be -[size=150]ενται rather than -[size=150]ηνται ? The morphological analysis tool on Perseus doesn't recognise either.<br /><br />I would translate as:<br />Diogenes, on being asked why athletes are senseless, said that it is because they have been built up by pork and beef.<br /><br />The sentence comes from one of the reading exercises in Chapter 16 of Teach Yourself Ancient Greek. The introduction to the book says most of the readings are authentic, but for the short epigrams and such, it doesn't give sources, only for the longer passages.<br /><br />It's not a book I would recommend. I'm struggling with it, using it as a revision text. I think someone who was starting from scratch would find it impossible. The explanations are very dense, and although there are plenty of readings, I would have appreciated more examples with the explanations.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=bingley link=board=2;threadid=194;start=0#929 date=1056336827]<br />3rd person plural perfect passive indicative was what I thought it must be, but shouldn't it be -[size=150]ενται rather than -[size=150]ηνται ? The morphological analysis tool on Perseus doesn't recognise either.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />The conjugation of the perfect don't use a thematic vowel. So the -h- is part of the stem oi)kodome-, lenghtened into oi)kodomh- in the perfect. Thus, -ntai suffices as an ending. It is w)|kodo/mh-mai, w)|kodo/mh-sai, w)|kodo/mh-tai and so on. No thematic vowel as in lu/-o-mai or lu/-e-tai <br /><br />By the way, the form of the thematic vowel before -ntai is always -o-. If you get an -entai, the -e- is a part of the stem, so in i(/e-ntai from i(/hmi.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

I've forgotten more than I realised. Thanks for the help, all.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=bingley link=board=2;threadid=194;start=0#932 date=1056375918]<br />I've forgotten more than I realised. Thanks for the help, all.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />That's ok. I'm always being reminded of things I thought I already knew. :)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;