First Translation Attempt: "Go the Distance"

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

First Translation Attempt: "Go the Distance"

Post by Gregorius »

I've finally reached the point in my studies of Ancient Greek that I feel ready to take a first crack at composing some lyrics! For those of you who don't really know me, I have the rather unique hobby of translating/adapting popular song lyrics into multiple languages. It's always interesting to see how well I can strike the delicate balance between staying as faithful as possible to the meaning and maintaining the beat, melody, and rhyme scheme. Some liberties inevitably have to be taken, but the challenge is to minimize those liberties.

I decided to start, perhaps somewhat appropriately, with a song from Disney's "Hercules." I have only a couple of verses right now, but I want to make sure I'm not getting ahead of myself as far as command of the language goes before continuing. I just thought I'd share it for whatever it's worth. Constructive critique is welcome, as always!

Τόπον δὴ ὁρῶ
Ὲν ὁνείροις μου
Οὖ ὑποδεκονται
Μ'ήδη ὡς ἥρων,
Οὗ τὸ πλῆθος πᾶν
παρ'εμοὶ χαίρει
Καί με φωνὴ λέγει
Η̃χθαι ὑπò τῆς μοίρᾱς.

Ένθα ποθ' ἥξω.
Τὴν ὁδόν πω τελῶ.
Τρόπον εὑρήσω
Εᾱν μέγας ῶ.