Ancient Greek Textbook

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jamesee0106.latin
Textkit Neophyte

Ancient Greek Textbook

Post by jamesee0106.latin »

Hi everyone,

I'm currently learning Latin (I've only started), but I would like to ask if there is an Ancient Greek language course / textbook, which is equivalent to Wheelock for Latin?

Thanks.

Grochojad
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Ancient Greek Textbook

Post by Grochojad »

What do you mean by "equivalent to Wheelock"?

Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sinister Petrus »

This book is probably the sort of thing you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Atti ... 995&sr=8-1

A classics PhD friend of mine seems to like it.

Grochojad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Grochojad »

Sinister Petrus wrote:This book is probably the sort of thing you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Atti ... 995&sr=8-1

A classics PhD friend of mine seems to like it.
I think Mastronarde is nothing like Wheelocks, but it a lot of people praise it. Giving it a try certainly isn't a bad idea.

Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sinister Petrus »

Grochojad wrote:I think Mastronarde is nothing like Wheelocks, but it a lot of people praise it. Giving it a try certainly isn't a bad idea.
Hahaha. Perhaps they aren't much alike. I saw that Mastronade was a grammar-style text too, and my eyes glazed over—but I know some people like that sort of thing. I've got an increasingly antique edition of Wheelock that I picked up before I knew better, so I'm probably not the best judge.

antonyclassicallatin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by antonyclassicallatin »

You can also try An Introduction to Ancient Greek: A literary Approach. I have used a variety of combinations of texts, including Alpha to Omega, the book mentioned above, JACT Reading Ancient Greek with Audio CDs, and lastly, Athenaze I and II. I like Athenaze because you read continuous greek, and they introduce a lot of real greek in small fragments, classical and if you like, biblical. Still not a Wheelock though but nice. Also, JACT is good but takes a long time... it does get to a place where you start to read real manuscripts eventually. They is a big difference between real Ancient Greek and what someone wrote in our century, so just being able to recognize forms and structure helps with reading real Ancient Greek. I try to mix the two to get a sense of what I am getting myself into.
Washington DC Area.
Knowledgable in Ancient Greek and Latin.