Is anyone else bothered by that "Support" tab?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
jamesbath
Textkit Member

Is anyone else bothered by that "Support" tab?

Post by jamesbath »

Is anyone else bothered by that "Support" tab on the left side of your screen? Is the problem just on my computer or FireFox? The tab covers the first few letters of every word so I have to keep scrolling up and down to see the letters beneath it. It's frustrating.

If it could be moved over to the right side, that would at least be far less obstructive.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Is anyone else bothered by that "Support" tab?

Post by Markos »

Yes, I have the same problem.

{ χαλεπὸν μὲν οὖν τοῦτο κἀμοί. }
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

It's in a roughly one-inch wide column off by itself for me---doesn't overlap any content. I'm on Chrome.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

edonnelly wrote:It's in a roughly one-inch wide column off by itself for me---doesn't overlap any content. I'm on Chrome.
I am using Chrome while writing this sentence. I still have the same problem as with FireFox. The "Support" tab is obstructing the first few letters of words on the left side of my screen. For instance, it completely covers the "Yes" in Markos' message and the "It's" in your message, not to mention all the other words it covers up as I peruse the website and other message threads.

Ahab
Textkit Member

Post by Ahab »

On the ipad it overlaps the text on the left side. Rather irritating.
Why, he's at worst your poet who sings how Greeks
That never were, in Troy which never was,
Did this or the other impossible great thing!
---Robert Browning

-------------------------------------------------------
Hal Friederichs

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

I can shrink the width of my window in Chrome enough to make the tab overlap the way everyone else is reporting. I guess there is a set width for the central column of text; if your window width is greater than that, you get empty left and right columns (empty, that is, except for the support tab), but if your width is equal to or less than that width, you get the overlap. Seems like the support thing should just be moved to the row of links across the top.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

edonnelly wrote:Seems like the support thing should just be moved to the row of links across the top.

That would be good because it annoys people.
{Quod esset bonum quia populus offendit.}

Edit: I hope I didn't sound too blunt in the above statement. It seems to have come off as a bit harsh, which was unintentional and happened because I was hurried and rushing the translation to the Latin, then from the Latin back to the English trying to make both languages fit better. Anyway, oops! :?

beerclark
Textkit Neophyte

Post by beerclark »

The support tab doesn't bother me. It doesn't interfere with my view . But it does look out of place since I don't see one like that on other websites.

What does bother me is that there is no size limit on avatars on this site. I like people having them , but there are some avatars that take up more then a screen so reading some threads becomes disjointed. I don't know if my issue with avatars is the same as some people have with the support tab.

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

beerclark wrote:The support tab doesn't bother me. It doesn't interfere with my view . But it does look out of place since I don't see one like that on other websites.

What does bother me is that there is no size limit on avatars on this site. I like people having them , but there are some avatars that take up more then a screen so reading some threads becomes disjointed. I don't know if my issue with avatars is the same as some people have with the support tab.

Does my avatar look too large on your screen? If it does, I would be glad to change it. Actually, I'll change it anyway to someone who can barely see because a huge sign is in front of his face.

Hoc signum me angit.

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Ecce! Deus est bonus mihi. Cognovi responsum sinistrum latus "auxilium" signum molestie.

Aha! God has been good to me. I found a way to deal with the "Support" tab on the left side of my screen.

On the FireFox menu bar, click View and then click Zoom. At this point, UN-CHECK the "Zoom Text Only" choice. That's the crux of the fix. Finally, click "Zoom Out" once or twice until the readable area of the screen shifts to the right -- and away from that horrible, cutesy, clever little good for nothing annoying tab.

Iacobus Balneum, at your service.

Polyidos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Polyidos »

I use Firefox with the NoScript add-on. If one does not enable scripts from Zendesk.com the "Support" object is not displayed at all. However, if I do enable those scripts, the "Support" object is displayed in the left margin, but does not overlap any of the text areas. I suppose that could be due to the font size I use as a default with Firefox, it's pretty small in some cases.

If your browser does not offer you the opportunity to control what scripts are and are not executed, you might want to consider trying a different browser. I use the NoScript add-on as a way of limiting the chance of a rogue site injecting malicious code into a valuable resource but there are other uses as well.

Of course, YMMV :)

beerclark
Textkit Neophyte

Post by beerclark »

jamesbath wrote:Ecce! Deus est bonus mihi. Cognovi responsum sinistrum latus "auxilium" signum molestie.
Way to go! lol

About your avatar, yours seems just the right size. I sometimes wonder if it is just older posts or just certain people that I haven't noticed. And I'm not blaming anyone. If I had one, I probably wouldn't know what size it actually is anyway!

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Polyidos wrote:I use Firefox with the NoScript add-on. If one does not enable scripts from Zendesk.com the "Support" object is not displayed at all. However, if I do enable those scripts, the "Support" object is displayed in the left margin, but does not overlap any of the text areas. I suppose that could be due to the font size I use as a default with Firefox, it's pretty small in some cases.
But it doesn't interfere with otherwise good presentation of discussion texts in these forums?

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

beerclark wrote: Way to go! lol
Gratias tibi ago! :)

Polyidos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Polyidos »

jamesbath wrote: But it doesn't interfere with otherwise good presentation of discussion texts in these forums?
I've been visiting Textkit for many years now and I haven't noticed any difficulties with the fora. The NoScript add-on allows one to pick and choose what scripts are run so if there are any concerns about a given site one can just enable all scripts to be sure that one is not missing out on any important content. Or, one can view the site with another browser, such as Internet Explorer, to be sure that nothing important is missing.

So far, I have had no problem with issues related to fonts (I have several "standard" Greek fonts installed on my system) and I used to have SPIonic fonts as well. Other that that, I don't think there are any significant issues with the Textkit fora that would be impacted by my use of the NoScript add-on. Of course, YMMV.

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Polyidos,
Your words are helpful. Thanks.
(Verba vestra sunt utilia. Gratias tibi ago).

James Bath (Iacobus Balneum)

rmansker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rmansker »

If you are using Firefox (and possibly Chrome, I didn't check) AND have a mouse with a scroll button THEN just hold CTRL and SCROLL BACKWARDS.

I did this and it made the text one size smaller -- just enough that now the Support Tab sits all alone on the left of the screen, mwahaha.
~~~I will apologize now for being a Yank. Please do not let me bad English grammar and spelling deter you from talking to me :D ~~~

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

rmansker wrote:If you are using Firefox (and possibly Chrome, I didn't check) AND have a mouse with a scroll button THEN just hold CTRL and SCROLL BACKWARDS.
Bona scientia! Gratias tibi ago!

Works great!

Polyidos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Polyidos »

I don't know what you mean by "scroll backwards" but on my system, using Firefox, Ctrl+'scroll wheel scrolling down' reduces the font size while Ctrl+'scroll wheel scroll up' increases the font size.

The same effect in Firefox is achieved via the keyboard using Ctrl '+' to increase the font size, Ctrl '-' to decrease the font size, and Ctrl '0' to revert to the default font size.

I'm sure the other browsers have similar means to adjust the font on a site-by-site basis. If one is willing to use web browsers other than those which, by default, come with the system, there are usually several ways to overcome various site limitations.

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Responsa optima e omnibus acceptus sum. Grates.

Great answers I received from everybody. Thanks.

Iacobus Balneum (James Bath)