New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
tilman
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by tilman »

hello, as per the forum rules, I'm posting in here to introduce myself. Not much to say really, I'm learning Greek as a hobby in my spare time, and I'm here because I've hit a few bumps along the way. I didn't realise it was going to be so difficult to get help...I guess spammers ruin it for everyone

David
Textkit Neophyte

Post by David »

Hello,

I am David. I'm 31 and live in Florida. I took three semesters of Greek back in college working through the Hansen and Quinn text. We read part of Plato's Apology in the second year, but I didn't have any more time in my schedule for Greek classes after that. It was a shame, as I enjoyed Greek classes the most out of any of my subjects in college.

Now, I am trying to get back into Greek. I went through Beetham's Learning Greek with Plato to brush up and am now slowly working through Plato's Symposium through Geoffrey Steadman's version. I would like to become fairly competent in reading Greek, and might move on to Latin as well at some point.

This looks like a great community. I have to admit that at times I feel a little lonely as no one I know shares my interest in Greek.

Section IX
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Section IX »

Eh, my apologies. I posted on another thread before posting here.

I'm just a dude interested in Learning some Latin and wanted to thank some guy for posting the answer sheet. I was having some trouble with a few sentences and wanted to see how good my translations were.

I intend to learn both Latin and Ancient Greek, because why the heck not?

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

I have been working in ancient Greek for 25 years. Dropped in to ask a question now and then about Plato's Euthyphro who I am currently dabbling in.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

WongHongyi
Textkit Neophyte

Post by WongHongyi »

Hello! I am just starting to learn Latin. The main reason why I am learning Latin is because I thought it would be interesting and I heard it is helpful when learning other languages.

Brianjvo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brianjvo »

Wanted to learn some prayers and passages in Latin. Also trying to learn a little Aramaic. I have always found it more spiritual when praying in the ancient tongues.

brentsIR
Textkit Neophyte

Post by brentsIR »

Hi, I am Brent! I am a student. I am here to learn and to share ideas.

chhhnds7
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chhhnds7 »

Cheers, I am a single-mom and would like to learn Latin even in a short phrase or sentence. I have many friends that speaks Latin and I like to join on their language. Thanks for this forum.

BellaFortuna
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BellaFortuna »

Hi!
I'm a first year Latin student, using Wheelock's Latin.
I'm realy hoping to someday be able to read, speak, and write in Latin, but for now, I'll settle for passing my class!
I chose to learn Latin because I have always had a love of history- especially ancient history.
I'm so glad that I found this site- I think it will help me quite a bit! :D

kimtaylor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kimtaylor »

Hi,
Can't say exactly why I wanted to learn Latin, but I find discovering the roots of English and French words very interesting. I am also the person creating the answer key to the Beginner Latin book - still hoping to find some editing help! Thanks for proving the PDF, I find the book more helpful than some of the current Latin textbooks.

Lucius48
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lucius48 »

Vale!
I just registered and I introduce myself
I'm Lucius48, that is Lucio and was born (no shame) in '48 in Italy
Milano me genuit, Saudi rapuere, tenet nunc Bangkok
l'Italiano e' la mia lingua di nascita, e il latino e' un (ora) piacevole ricordo delle mie medie e del liceo, ma.. ..... but my acquired language is English, I left latin to the time of my high school, and I was now, in the (early!!) autumn of my life, interested in reading some of my old ancestors language, so here I'm now, looking forward to put some new light to my early memories..
I'm a civil engineer, interested in cooking, stamps and recently in butterflies.
Hope you will accept me in !!

elison
Textkit Neophyte

Post by elison »

hello

my name is elison and i am 45 years old married with 2 kids
I am very interested in learning the Greek Language and culture.
i been traveling to Greece several times and i love the language sound,the weather and the butifull beaches.

nice to meet other people who are interested in the same things

thanks

elison

acguitarplayer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by acguitarplayer »

Hey all. I'm a Seminary student in Oregon. Eventually my program will include more languages than I care to think about knowing at the moment... for now learning Greek is plenty.

Alacritas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alacritas »

Salvete!

My name is Lucius, I've been learning Latin for about a year and a half now, and a few months ago started learning Ancient Greek.

I recently found this site and decided to join -- a language-learning community of like-minded people? I'm there!

I speak French, Portuguese, Spanish, and English as well.

Thanks everyone!

Valete!

MontyCostella
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MontyCostella »

Hi there!
My name is Montgomery and I'm here to learn Greek. Hope, there are many forumers who will help me to achieve good results!
Thanks!

iski12345
Textkit Neophyte

Post by iski12345 »

Hello,

I am a student at Western Michigan University and am taking Attic Greek. I have been looking around the forums for a while now and decided it was time to join.

PTMarketing
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PTMarketing »

I am a licensed Physical Therapist and I would like to study medicine in the near future. I'm still saving for it. Meantime, a friend suggested that I study the rudiments of Latin because a lot of medical terms have Latin origin.

Hopefully, this website will start me off nicely.

pastorjohnperling
Textkit Neophyte

Post by pastorjohnperling »

Salvete! My oldest daughter and I are studying Latin with Wheelock 7th edition over the next two years. She is just beginning high school. We intend to use the various extensions readers in the years following as well as some of the materials available on this site.
We are also studying greek with Athanaze Book 1 with the intention of using Book 2 next year and Homeric Greek by Pharr the third year. I have previously studied Koine Greek in my seminary studies.
My wife and younger daughters are beginning with "Getting Started with Latin" and will be able to begin working with Wheelock once I have completed it with our oldest.
Looking forward to linking up with some other teachers, students, and perhaps families who value the classics! thanks!

Ξενοφάνης ὁ Βορήιος
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ξενοφάνης ὁ Βορήιος »

Hi! I am a new member, and I am sorry because I don't speak English well enough - I am from Ukraine. But ancient Greek language is exist! So - Εὐδαίμων εἰμὶ πάνυ πυθέσθαι ὅτι οὔκ εἰμι μόνος ἑλληνομανής!
I'm Russian-speaking and I learn both Ancient Greek and English, but I speak Greek better than English, so I write in Greek.
Ῥωσικὸς ὤν τῇ φωνῇ μανθάνω μὲν Ἑλληνικήν τε καὶ Βρεττανικὴν γλῶσσαν, ἐπίσταμαι δὲ τὴν Ἑλληνικὴν ἄμεινον, τούτου ἕνεκα ἑλληνιστὶ γράφω.
Ξενοφάνης ὁ Βορήιος

Ξενοφάνης ὁ Βορήιος
Textkit Neophyte

I can offer one thing -my friend has created for me a greek polytonic keyboard for android-system, is it interesting for someone? This message and the following letters I printed on my Samsung Galaxy SII:
ἀἁἂἃἄἅἇᾰᾱᾡᾧᾒἢΰῧἳϝϛϟϡϜ...
I'm Russian-speaking and I learn both Ancient Greek and English, but I speak Greek better than English, so I write in Greek.
Ῥωσικὸς ὤν τῇ φωνῇ μανθάνω μὲν Ἑλληνικήν τε καὶ Βρεττανικὴν γλῶσσαν, ἐπίσταμαι δὲ τὴν Ἑλληνικὴν ἄμεινον, τούτου ἕνεκα ἑλληνιστὶ γράφω.
Ξενοφάνης ὁ Βορήιος

egwpisteuw
Textkit Neophyte

Post by egwpisteuw »

χάρις ὑμῖν καὶ εἰρήνη
gratia vobis et pax

I use Koine Greek for Bible study on a regular basis (Both the NT and Septuagint) and dabble in Ecclesiatical Latin a bit (I also speak Spanish, French, and Italian so Vulgar Latin is familar and intelligible even without having studied it formally).
οὐ γὰρ ἔκρινα τι εἰδέναι ἐν ὑμῖν εἰ μὴ Ἰησοῦν Χριστὸν καὶ τοῦτον ἐσταυρωμένον
non enim iudicavi scire me aliquid inter vos nisi Iesum Christum et hunc crucifixum

hapm
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hapm »

Hello and thank you for creating and maintaining this site. I am learning ancient greek so that I can read the many wisdom traditions that have been recorded in this language. At the beginning of the year I started learning the alphabet and pronunciation from the Berkeley site. I tried several textbooks on my own but didn't get traction with the language until I started working with a tutor in person. In addition to on-line and text resources, how about a human resource list? Based on my experience, it is worth traveling to spend a week or so with someone who is able to check pronunciation, answer questions on the spot and guide the learning process.
Hap

chodorov
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chodorov »

Hello, everyone. I've been using the site to study Latin for about eight months now, but this is my first post. I am about to start studying Ancient Greek.

palermomean
Textkit Neophyte

Post by palermomean »

Hi, I'm an engineer but i'm interested in latin and greek becuase i like Sir Isaac Newton and he wrote his principle in latin. So i want to read it in original.

Ξενοφάνης ὁ Βορήιος
Textkit Neophyte

Hapm, can you send me to PM a link of the page for learning pronunciation on the Berkeley site?
Προευχαριστῶ σε
Ξενοφάνης ὁ Βορήιος

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

Akemdwr: The page with the tutorials is at http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~ancgreek/ (just look for the "pronunciation" link)

Hap: I'm glad you found your way here :wink: I hope you find the forum a useful place for getting questions answered, although I'm happy to keep working with you in person. I agree that meeting with a live person is the better option if you have the chance. If you don't get a response here about the suggestion for section of the forum for connecting with study partners/tutors whatever, you may want to post another thread; I'm not sure how many people read the introductions.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

rmansker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rmansker »

Salvete Amici!!! Hello Friends!!!

I'm not here looking for answers but am bored out of my mind and hope to be helpful... that being said I have been accused of being TOO helpful, so I apologize in advance if this happens.

I took 6 years of Latin in College and 4 years of Ancient Greek. My Professor at University was a student of the Pope's Head Latinist, Father Reginald. "Reggie" would write us postcards -- it was tons of fun!

Right now I give private Latin lessons and tutor those struggling in Latin in my area. I think this has helped me to understand the disconnect that occurs between Professor and Student -- since I tend to be an interpreter during the tutoring sessions.

Please let me know if I can help in any way!
R. Mansker
P.S. Is there a way to upload files or send files to people? I have been working on some Latin texts and created some very useful charts that explain and simplify the language a lot!
~~~I will apologize now for being a Yank. Please do not let me bad English grammar and spelling deter you from talking to me :D ~~~

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Neil Davidson wrote:04 July 2011
I collect antique maps which strains my linguistic skills - notably the Latin ones - which are limited to 'O' Level Latin obtained many decades ago
Can anyone help me with the full version of what seems to be a Latin ?dedication and consecration? (of a map, a book etc) "L. M. D. C. Q."?
I am already grateful for your attention!
Neil Davidson
I suspect it means "Libens Merito Dedicat ConsecratQue", "[he or she, the author] willingly [and] rightly dedicates and consecrates" [Just came across that post here.]
Sic id vult dicere, ut suspicor. Hanc epistulam hîc modò animadverti.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

com_easy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by com_easy »

Hi, my first experience with latin didn't occur until after college life. I always consider that to learn such a classical language as early as high school may contribute great benefits to a person.

TheElk
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TheElk »

I'll be off to seminary in a little over a year. I've been interested in learning Greek for the past couple of years. I've dabbled a little bit with Greek. I have "A Primer of Biblical Greek" by Croy and "Elements of New Testament Greek" by Ray Summers.

My main interest is in learning Koine for New Testament and Septuagint purposes. Although, I'm now thinking of learning Attic Greek first because I see the value in being able to read other texts (plus I love to read anyway). I like being able to read original writings because I often find that second hand information isn't always that reliable.

chongchel
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chongchel »

Hi, I am interested to get advice about Greek, especially for Biblical studies.
Hope to gain something valuable from this forum.

JoeHam
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JoeHam »

Hello all, Joe Hamilton here!
I don't really know anything about Latin but I do want to learn it.

I would say my goal is to at least know the basics of the language such as the grammar and syntax. The specific words will come after I guess.

See you around my friends! :D

siyecao
Textkit Neophyte

Post by siyecao »

[quote="quendidil"]Welcome to the Textkit forums!

Hey, everyone, I am a junior in China. I began to learn Latin a few weeks ago and have

faced with great difficulty . I hope I can make friends here and study Latin together. Will my

dream come true ?

spottedhot
Textkit Neophyte

Post by spottedhot »

Hello, I've always been interested in Greek and latin. I have found these languages to be a great sucess in my study of Roman and Greek History.

janaya2
Textkit Neophyte

Post by janaya2 »

Hi everyone! My name's Michael and I'm currently studying Latin, specifically Ecclesiastical Latin. I'm somewhat of a beginner at Latin and I'm mostly studying it to be able to read liturgical books. If I manage to become at least semi-proficient in Latin, I'd like to study Greek to expand my knowledge of liturgical languages.

mrdawson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mrdawson »

Salvete, and `n ('hey' -- don't know how to greet in Greek).

I am a Latin teacher, mostly middle school and high school. I've studied Koine Greek in the past and may get into it again, when time allows.

Gratia vobiscum,
Mark Dawson
Minneapolis, MN

mikerick14
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mikerick14 »

Hello friends i m Mike Rick,
i m new at this forum and i hope this forum will b very informatics for us.

Socrates
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Socrates »

Hello, everyone.

The Classical world captivates me enormously, especially the Greek elements. I have been learning Attic Greek for a couple of years, and I am nearly at the point where I can read the Socratic dialogues of Plato in the original with some help from a dictionary.

I love ancient languages and am familiar with the basics of Latin, Akkadian, Hebrew, Old English, Sanskrit and a few others. However, my unequivocal favourite is Greek. I have a few of the Loeb bilingual books, and thoroughly enjoy reading the comedies of Aristophanes. They are not only earthily funny, but have an immediacy of engagement with a Classical Greek mind I haven't quite found in the more serious plays of Sophocles, Aeschylus and Euripides.

Greek philosophy is incredibly exciting. The "scientific" approach of the Ionic philosophers that survives is a window on ancient minds at the cutting edge. But my ultimate hero is always going to be Socrates. The earlier dialogues in particular, where he knows nothing except his own ignorance, are more than profound. The ones that end in aporia remind me somewhat of zen koans, where one realises that one's mind is of the realm of language and description rather than of reality. I also find Socrates' espousal of non-violence even to one's enemies truly beautiful.

It is my hope that this site will enable me to learn more about beauty of classical languages, and I humbly hope also to be able to help others in this regard.

Best wishes,
Rich

xanthias
Textkit Neophyte

Post by xanthias »

I am both a student and teacher of Latin and Greek and I certainly enjoy a grammatical puzzle. I plan to branch out from Attic and read some lyric poetry, or anything which falls outside of the Xenophon/Thucydides/tragedy I'm teaching this year. As for Latin, my goal is to work on my prose composition, which I haven't done since leaving university a few years ago, and which has now become a little rusty.

X