Latin Grammar Reference

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
jamesee0106.latin
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Grammar Reference

Post by jamesee0106.latin »

Salvete,

What is a good grammar reference for beginners? - "New Latin Grammar" by Bennett, or "New Latin Grammar" by Alen and Greenbough; or are there are better recommendations?

Thanks you!

MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin Grammar Reference

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

They're all equally good imo.

faysal2011
Textkit Neophyte

Post by faysal2011 »

as far as i know, kennedy's shorter latin primer is by far the best first grammer, it's barely 100 pages. out of print though. my copy was off ebay.

Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sinister Petrus »

I've always liked Bennett's New Latin Grammar for quick answers. I suggest it to my students as their first reference grammar. For more advanced work, check Gildersleeve's Latin Grammar.

Both have book previews at bolchazy.com, so you can at least know what you're getting.

justerman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by justerman »

I suspect few of us know all the contenders well. Certainly I don't. So I can only say what I have found useful. One would be New Latin Grammar. The other, which takes quite a different approach, would be "Latin Grammar" by Dirk Panhuis.

"A New Latin Syntax" by Woodcock doesn't cover so much ground but I found a lot of intelligence in it.

MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

I thought the book by Woodcock was pretty in-depth.

justerman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by justerman »

MatthaeusLatinus, I agree. Great book.

I'm not sure whether you were contradicting me, but if so, I meant that NLG doesn't, for example, document the paradigm declensions and conjugations.

justerman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by justerman »

In case anyone is interested, when I referred to "NLG" is my previous post, I was actually referring to Woodcock's New Latin Syntax. Sorry!