perhaps an annoying suggestion

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

perhaps an annoying suggestion

Post by Bedell »

Folks, over the years I have seen a number of posts suggesting new languages which would, in the opinion of the posters, be well suited to the Textkit style. I scarcely read most of them and passed over the others with disinterest. Now, with a shade of embarrassment, I'm going to do exactly the same myself... :oops:

Does anyone agree that this type of site and community would be of benefit to someone aiming at learning to read and write modern Russian? Listening and speaking is another kettle of fish, I know, but learning Russian is the closest thing to learning a classical language I have encountered in modern languages.

What do you think? Good idea/ bad idea? Wheel my barrow into the next street? :)
nothing should arouse more suspicion than a cross-party consensus - Antidemocritus fl. 2010

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: perhaps an annoying suggestion

Post by spiphany »

There's already a fairly good online community for Russian learners: Master Russian forum and an accompanying website with lessons on basic grammar points.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Grochojad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Grochojad »

Bedell wrote:learning Russian is the closest thing to learning a classical language I have encountered in modern languages.
Why? I can't come up with any reason to think this way.

margotfajard729
Textkit Neophyte

Post by margotfajard729 »

I am happy with the community doing what it does best. There are some good russian forums out there.

beerclark
Textkit Neophyte

Post by beerclark »

Bedell

Its a nice idea but I don't think this site is vast enough to handle another language without watering down its core purpose.

You would be adding 2 more factors: a new language; and a Modern language. It would water down what Textkit has.. plus it adds more work to everyone that already are probably doing all they can for what is already here.

But still not a bad idea to suggest it!

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

spiphany wrote:There's already a fairly good online community for Russian learners: Master Russian forum and an accompanying website with lessons on basic grammar points.
Thanks, Spiphany, I'm already a member there. They are a great bunch.
nothing should arouse more suspicion than a cross-party consensus - Antidemocritus fl. 2010

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Grochojad wrote:
Bedell wrote:learning Russian is the closest thing to learning a classical language I have encountered in modern languages.
Why? I can't come up with any reason to think this way.
One word: inflections. Three more words: lots of them. :)

I'm also looking at it from the point of view of the difficult phonology for a native English speaker and - speaking personally - wondering whether a reading knowledge to get to grips with the rich literature would be plenty for most folk to be getting on with, and culturally beneficial.

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

@ margotfajard729 & beerclark

I wouldn't dream of trying to foist something else onto this site, even if I could. As it is, IMHO it's brilliant as it is.

My question was aimed more at sounding learned people out as to whether this type of approach might benefit people wanting to get an inside view of Russian but without the years spent trying to master correct pronunciation and conversational skills. (I did much the same when learning Gaelic, having spent years failing with modern style conversation courses. After I had mastered the grammar the same way as I learned NT Greek, and started reading lots, I was able to move onto the the thorny matter of grappling with the phonology of the local dialect and doing some serious talking.)

Grochojad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Grochojad »

Bedell wrote:One word: inflections. Three more words: lots of them. :)
There are languages that make Russian look "inflectionless", almost analytical, and many others, that are inflected to a similar extent, Polish for example. So what would make Russian so "special"?

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Grochojad wrote:
Bedell wrote:One word: inflections. Three more words: lots of them. :)
There are languages that make Russian look "inflectionless", almost analytical, and many others, that are inflected to a similar extent, Polish for example. So what would make Russian so "special"?
Nothing