latin to English dictionary

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Dimitri
Textkit Neophyte

latin to English dictionary

Post by Dimitri »

Can someone please recommend a very good latin to english dictionary for me.

thanks,
Dimitri

edonnelly
Administrator

Re: latin to English dictionary

Post by edonnelly »

I guess "good" is a bit of a relative term, but a great dictionary, which is entirely free, is Lewis & Short, and the best interface for it is through the entirely free program Diogenes (which also does a ton of other useful stuff, like parse Latin and Greek words, and includes the LSJ dictionary for ancient Greek stuff). Anyway, you can download it from the author:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/Software/Diogenes/

He has made Windows, Mac and Linux versions. Another nice feature is that the entire thing is local on your computer, so there is no need for an active internet connection, and your lookups are instantaneous (unlike, say Perseus, where you often wait quite a long time for the result page).
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

A very good dictionary which is not free and very expensive is the Oxford Latin Dictionary.
Perbonum dictionarium non gratuitum magìs carissimum est hoc: The Oxford Latin Dictionary.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Dimitri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dimitri »

Thank you very much for both responses! I downloaded Diogenes and i'm testing it now!

thanks,
Dimitri

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

If you don't want to download the Lewis and Short dictionary via Diogenes, I like to use an online version of it here: http://athirdway.com/glossa/

It's the L&S dictionary online with a handy interface.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute