Latin on TV

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
beerclark
Textkit Neophyte

Latin on TV

Post by beerclark »

So I'm watching a show called Warrior Queen Boudica" (2006) on the Military Channel this morning. I turned it on in the middle but its basically (like most of these shows) mostly narrative with experts talking on and off. Its all over a consistent visual story with occasional dialogue.

So the first dialogue I hear is Boudica.. and she is speaking english. But then to my surprise, the Romans are speaking Latin! (with subtitles) Maybe I've just never noticed before but I thought it was pretty cool to try to pick up what I could as they spoke. I will have to listen closer to more shows I watch now.

I can't speak for the accuracy of the dialogue (vs subtitles) but they seemed to speak classical latin. Though they didn't roll the R's and I thought I heard at least one hard V slip in.

Just one comment on the show: I thought it was funny that Boudica is talking to her daughters and says "All we want is to live in peace.". That should have continued "...oh, and slaughter every Roman man, woman, and child in Britain" since they had just completely decimated Camulodunum and its populace.

beerclark
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin on TV

Post by beerclark »

I would venture a guess that the acting was similar... if not worse in the History Channel's show. But The History Channel simply had the acting for context. So the narrator would give you a long break from the drama.

So it sounds like Warrior Queen gave no such break! And they probably didn't speak a lick of latin!!