silly t-shirt

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Diadochia
Textkit Neophyte

silly t-shirt

Post by Diadochia »

I'm trying to help design a t-shirt for our group's toga party... if "nunc est bibendum" translates roughly as "now we must drink", how do I say, "now we must vomit"? My verb book doesn't have the gerundive for vomo, vomere... I guess they thought we'd never need that word! Thanks in advance.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Oh dear...

Well, if you want to use vomo, I suppose the form would be vomendum :mrgreen:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Diadochia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diadochia »

Many thanks, Benissimus! Send me an address (and a size) and I'll send you a shirt! They'll be hot items on campus...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

How about "trahere est facere" "quisquis loquere nobis" "fratres sunt matres" :shock: "amici aedifici amamini" "cognoscens me cognoscens te aha" "virgines abite" "prima luce feminas duce" I like that one :shock:

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Diadochia wrote:(and a size)
He's really fat, is our benissimus. You will not have a size, or even the cubed number thereof, that may fit him.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

"amici aedifici amamini"
Friends of a building be loved?

"virgines abite"
Image O Episcope...

"prima luce feminas duce"
Did you mean duc? Sorry to mess up your rhyme, but you deserved it :P I'm not fat!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

" O Friends of the building, be ye loved!" was meant.

And don't imply that I am not aware of dic duc fac! 'duce' was obviously for rhyming purposes. At least I'm not the one who thought that egeo was 3rd conjugation!

Oh no wait...maidens is virgines scratch that! O Virgines Venite!