Putting Sentences Together

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Lechin
Textkit Neophyte

Putting Sentences Together

Post by Lechin »

I've been practicing my Latin little by little. I guess I just need a confidence boost so that I don't second guess myself while translating. So if anything seems off with my translations then please let me know. I'll just post a few sentences a day. I'll be using this thread a lot. :lol: Also does it matter what order the words go in? I heard that it didn't...And there are verbs and nouns...The verbs don't have declensions I guess?

Latin-Porto aqua.
Literal Translation-Carry water.
English-Carry the water.

Latin-Amo terra.
Literal Translation-Love Earth.
English-Love the Earth.

Latin-Laborare femina.
Literal Translation-Works woman.
English-The woman works.

Grochojad
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Putting Sentences Together

Post by Grochojad »

Latin-Porto aquam.
English-I carry the water.

Latin-Amo terram.
English-I love the Earth.

Latin-Laborat femina.
English-The woman works.

Don't do literal translations, they are a waste of time.
Lechin wrote:I guess I just need a confidence boost so that I don't second guess myself while translating
You need practice, a lot of practice. And second guess everything, neither your Latin nor translation are any good.
Lechin wrote:Also does it matter what order the words go in? I heard that it didn't...And there are verbs and nouns...The verbs don't have declensions I guess?
Word order matters but for now just try to put the subject first and the verb last.

Verbs have conjugation

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Grochojad is right. Word order is flexible in Latin AND very important, for meaning and expressiveness.
Rectè dicit Grochojad. Ordo verborum latinè flexibilis at magni momenti quoàd pertinet ad significationem habitumque.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.04.0001
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Lechin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lechin »

Thanks...
I like putting the literal translation down...
I found out later that the verbs have conjugations lol I face palmed.
I'll put up more soon.