perfectum futurum ?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

perfectum futurum ?

Post by Lavrentivs »

Jesu, is this a perfect future (not a future perfect) :

« Et facile intelligo me, quatenus rationem habeo totius cujuſdam, perfectionem futurum fuiſſe quàm nunc ſum, ſi talis a Deo factus eſſem. »

cb
Textkit Zealot

Re: perfectum futurum ?

Post by cb »

hi, the (vocab-heavy) answer is that FVTVRVM FVISSE in this sentence is the periphrasis you use for the verb ESSE in the apodosis of a contrary-to-fact condition in indirect discourse. see a&g s589(b)(2): http://www.archive.org/stream/allenandg ... 1/mode/1up

to explain that a bit, in direct discourse this person would be saying basically:
protasis (if-clause): SI TALIS A DEO FACTVS ESSEM,
apodosis (then-clause): PERFECTIOR ESSEM
i.e. the imperfect subjunctive would be used in the apodosis for a contrary-to-fact condition in direct discourse referring to the present.

then when you put it into indirect discourse (with the verb INTELLEGO introducing indirect discourse):

INTELLEGO,
if-clause stays the same: SI TALIS A DEO FACTVS ESSEM,
in the then-clause of a contrary-to-fact condition in indirect discourse, the imperfect subjunctive ESSEM turns into a -VRVS FVISSE construction: ME PERFECTIOREM FVTVRVM FVISSE… (for this see a&g s589(b)(2) linked above)

(presumably in your original it said PERFECTIOREM, ie the comparative of PERFECTVS in the accusative agreeing with ME, and not PERFECTIONEM, unless i'm wrong... :) )

cheers, chad :)

Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

Re: perfectum futurum ?

Post by Lavrentivs »

Thanks, mate, sorry about the misspell.