Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Ray59it
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ray59it »

Hi<br />my name is Raimondo and I live in Italy. I hope not to be too much old to start to learn ancient Greek (I'm 43) and to join your group!<br />Any advice about how to begin to study without a teacher? I know very well Greek alphabet because I'm an amateur astronomer since my youth and I have been in Greece many times. However it seems to me very difficult to learn without exercises. Are there any sort of lessons scheduled in the future? Thanks.<br /><br />Bye<br /><br />Ray59it<br />

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Re:New member

Post by Erica »

Greetings! <br /><br />Well, congratulations on starting Greek on your own! I think it is essential that initially you learn the pronunciation of the Greek, and focus on speaking everything aloud as you study -- without a teacher you will need to really listen to yourself initially, maybe even record yourself as you read aloud vocabulary or grammar paradigms. There is an EXCELLENT book on this site for beginners, which I am using currently, which is First Greek Book by John Williams White. Of course it is free here, and although it is a long down load I printed it out and REALLY am happy with it. I've looked at many other "beginning" texts and spoken with professors and students where I live (Oregon, USA) and many of them also have high opinions of the White. Good luck! :D