gratiam referre

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

gratiam referre

Post by pmda »

Does gratia have two different meanings? - 1. thanks. 2. a favour.

In Orberg's LLPSI he has: Mercator: "Aliud est gratiam habere, aliud gratiam referre. Non omnes qui tibi pro beneficiis gratias agunt, ipsi postea, si opus fuerit, gratiam tibi referent. Facile est gratias agere pro beneficiis, nec vero quidquam difficilius esse videtur quam beneficiorum meminise."

I know what this means if gratia means thanks and a favour at the same time...

Aliud est gratiam habere (it's one think to be thankful?), aliud gratiam referre (..(but) another to return a favour?). Non omnes qui tibi pro beneficiis gratias agunt (who for favours, give thanks to you), ipsi postea, si opus fuerit, gratiam tibi referent (them selves afterwards will return the favour when they should have.)

Is there something I'm not getting here....?

as

gratiam referre

= g.am pro gratia reddere

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: gratiam referre

Post by adrianus »

Ut dicis,—meâ sententiâ rem capis // Yes, you get it, I believe.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.04.0059

Vel "It's one thing to be obliged, another to repay the obligation"
vel "It's one thing to be thankful, another to show thanks"
vel "It's one thing to have gratitude, another to show gratitude"
vel "Aliud est gratiam agere, aliud gratiam habere, aliud gratiam referre" = "It's one thing to say you're appreciative, another to be appreciative, and another to show appreciation."

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=blhF ... re&f=false
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.