Fortuna adversa amicis fidendum non est.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Fortuna adversa amicis fidendum non est.

Post by pmda »

In Orberg LLPSI he has: Fortuna adversa amicis fidendum non est.

I can't figure out the syntax and grammar - or meaning. Fidendum is gerundive right?
So it's something like : adverse fortune has no friends??

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Fortuna adversa amicis fidendum non set.

Post by adrianus »

Fortunâ adversâ = in [times of]/with adverse fortune
fidendum non est = [impersonally/impersonaliter] there should not be placed trust in/one should not trust in... [this verb takes a dative and the gerundive can keep this case for its object // hoc verbum dativo casui servit quo in casu gerundivum objectum tenere potest].
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Adrianus

Gratias tibi ago.

Paul

MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

Shouldn't that be fidenda, to agree with fortuna?

Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

Post by Lavrentivs »

Fortuna is ablative, not the subject. The subject is impersonal.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Fortuna adversa amicis fidendum non est.

Post by pmda »

Adrianus, isn't an alternative explanation that 'fidendum' doesn't take dative but that 'amicis' is dative as it is an agent (is this the same thing?). So that it means: in times of adverse fortune friends are not trustworthy. 'amicis' - dative - agent.?

Orberg explains this in notes to the previous chapter: 'With the gerundive, which is a passive form, the dative (not ab + abl) is used to denote the agent, i.e. the person by whom the action is to be performed: Quidquid dominus imperavit servo faciendum est.

Or is this (agent) only referring to cases where someone asks or orders someone else to do something...?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

The verb "fideo" DOES take the dative but, COINCIDENTALLY, that's the way gerundives work impersonally.
"Fido" verbum quidem dativo casui servit quod, casu, gerundivum impersonaliter facit.
"There/it should be [done] to a thing" = "A thing should be [done]"
Here the [indirect] object is the agent.
Hîc objectum [indirectum] est quod agit.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Adrianus,

Quando dixisti: 'fidendum non est = [impersonally/impersonaliter] ' Nonne ita neutrum 'fidendum' explicatur.

Paulus

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

It's neuter because it's impersonal, or vice versa, if you prefer.
Neutrius generis quod impersonale; vel vice versâ, si velis.
A&G, §500.3, wrote:The neuter gerundive of both transitive and intransitive verbs may be used impersonally in the second periphrastic conjugation.