Homeric Greek Interlinear on the Kindle

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
John Jackson
Textkit Neophyte

Homeric Greek Interlinear on the Kindle

Post by John Jackson »

Yes it is now possible to read Classical Greek on the kindle.
You must have a later version of the Kindle software.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JP ... 8WKD6ES02R
John

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Homeric Greek Interlinear on the Kindle

Post by Adelheid »

Would love to have an interlinear version of the Odyssey!
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

John Jackson wrote:Yes it is now possible to read Classical Greek on the kindle.
You must have a later version of the Kindle software.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JP ... 8WKD6ES02R
John
I get a message that the page is not a valid one on Amazon.

What has changed on the Kindle software? Mine hasn't updated since January but it does ancient Greek with diacritics just fine. An interlinear sounds good, I'd like to see it. I've made a pure version of the Iliad for my Kindle and it looks beautiful.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Ahab
Textkit Member

Post by Ahab »

Link doesn't work for me either. However, you can search for "interlinear Iliad" in the kindle store and that should pull up a link to the book.
I did download a sample of it to my kindle. Main problem I see with it is that I can only display one line of greek text per page unless I set the font to the smallest size. Even at that size only two lines of text are displayed. That makes it extremely hard to navigate with any efficiency.
Why, he's at worst your poet who sings how Greeks
That never were, in Troy which never was,
Did this or the other impossible great thing!
---Robert Browning

-------------------------------------------------------
Hal Friederichs

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Ahab wrote:Link doesn't work for me either. However, you can search for "interlinear Iliad" in the kindle store and that should pull up a link to the book.
I did download a sample of it to my kindle. Main problem I see with it is that I can only display one line of greek text per page unless I set the font to the smallest size. Even at that size only two lines of text are displayed. That makes it extremely hard to navigate with any efficiency.
Duh, I didn't even think of searching for it. Thanks. I tried out the sample as well. I have to say that it looks pretty nice on mine (I have the DX,which is a larger screen). I get about three lines line of the poem per page (each line is followed by about 6 lines of parsing which is followed by a line of translation). People with Kindle apps on their tablets and/or computers would probably get a similar look. I think it's nicely done, though it appears to be only book one.

I also noticed this little tid bit in the description:
amazon.com wrote:text-to-speech enabled
I wonder if the kindle has been programmed with the reconstructed pronunciation...

anyway, here's a link that should work:
http://www.amazon.com/Iliad-Homer-Parse ... B005JUPYCU
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Ahab
Textkit Member

Post by Ahab »

Ufortunately, I can only disply 2 lines on my Ipad using the Kindle app if I set the fonts large enough to read comfortably.
I do agree that what is displayed is nicely formatted. Obviously a lot of work went into this.
However, given that fantastic online resource The Chicago Homer, I'm having trouble seeing a need for this Kindle book unless someone is going to have limited or no internet acess for an extended period of time.
Why, he's at worst your poet who sings how Greeks
That never were, in Troy which never was,
Did this or the other impossible great thing!
---Robert Browning

-------------------------------------------------------
Hal Friederichs

John Jackson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by John Jackson »

Thank you all for the feedback.
If an internet connection exists then yes many good resources are available to read, study and research.
The Kindle costs little more than $100, the battery lasts for weeks, the display emits no light and reads like paper. The format was developed at after many attempts to display as much information as possible in the display area of the kindle. It does a good job of intra-text searching and I have been able to format a parsing dictionary and a copy of the LSJ for the device as well.

I generally am not moving back and forth through the text when I read but sometimes must return to a previous section to clarify the reference of a pronoun etc.

At my age I find that In order to make net progress in the study of Greek I must study longer and hopefully absorb more than I forget :roll: . This device, My android phone, along with conventional materials allows me to do this.

Max
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Max »

Good but expensive. 170 dollars for an electronic book. 7 dollars per song. 24 songs.