Studying latin and ancient greek

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Slagathor
Textkit Neophyte

Studying latin and ancient greek

Post by Slagathor »

Hi everyone,
I'm Slagathor (yeah, that's kind of sad) and I'm really into classical studies...
I enjoy languages and I think learning Latin and Ancient Greek(not at the same time, of course) will be really fun and helpful, because I usually try to read texts in their original language.
I'm studying at home and if someone can recommend books, sites and study methods I'd be very grateful.
Also, if someone can tutor me personally (online, of course) that'd be great. I'm a really quick learner and fun to be around so... (;
Thank you for your help people!

PS.
Which language should I start with?

little flower
Textkit Member

Re: Studying latin and ancient greek

Post by little flower »

hi slagathor
If you are looking for a tutor i suggest you write to 'Anna.p.magistra@gmail.com'. Dr ann has been my tutor for about three and a half years. In that time we have covered lingua latina (ll) vol 1 and part of vol two and some of the catholic breviary. We are working through the Summa of st Thomas at the moment. Whatever your interests i thoroughly recommend her. at £10/ session its very good value and i have also recorded most of our sessions via skylook for future reference. I may be able to email you one if you wish.My email address is 'daniel.lane.9@btinternet.com'.
best of luck
Little flower.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Little flower.
I like your pseudonym. In Greek it would be τὸ ἄνθιον. My father used to talk about another Little Flower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorello_La_Guardia

Cheers!

{
Little flower.
ἐν τῷ ὄνομά σου εὐδόκησα. Ελληνιστὶ, τὸ ἄνθιον. ὁ δὲ παπὴρ μου ἔλεγεν περὶ ἄλλου ἀνθίου.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorello_La_Guardia

ἔρρωσο }
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

little flower
Textkit Member

Post by little flower »

thanks Markos
Little flower is the popular name of st therese of Liseaux (france). She was very much into sacred scripture and would have loved to read the N.T in the original Greek if she had the opportunity to learn it. I would also like to learn ancient greek sometime Pg.I am concentrating on latin at the moment since it is compulsory for the latin rite priesthood (sspx).Maybe after 3/4 more years i will be have more time. If you want to know anything about the catholic faith (semper et ubique) drop us a line.
best of luck
Little flower