Dobson vs. Hale

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
ragnar_deerslayer
Textkit Neophyte

Dobson vs. Hale

Post by ragnar_deerslayer »

I've finished Mounce, but I'm sure there are a lot of finer points I've missed. I was going to do a second pass through it, but I read somewhere that for a second pass, it might be better to use a different textbook.

If I'm going to use a different textbook, I wanted one that would provide lots of easy reading (Lingua Latina-style) to drill the basic forms deep so I can really read in Greek rather than decipher/decode (which is what I'm doing now).

I got Dobson's Learn New Testament Greek, Second Ed and Hale's Let's Study Greek, Revised at a used booksale for less than a dollar. Is one of these notably better than the other? How do their strengths and weaknesses line up?

Thanks!
Read my blog! --> Study Greek

jswilkmd
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Dobson vs. Hale

Post by jswilkmd »

Glad you got those books for a bargain price. You'll find them fun to look through from time to time.

If you want a systemic review of Biblical Greek, I think the best way to really firm up your knowledge and do drill after drill (and learn syntax, too) is to use the computer program from Parson's Technology called "Greek Tutor." It's an excellent, excellent review of Greek. It really helped me re-learn Greek after being away from seminary for a number of years.

Jim

LSorenson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LSorenson »

Have you seen Funk's A Beginning-Intermediate Grammar of Hellenistic Greek on the B-Greek site? It's very detailed and complete. Not as heavy-handed as Blass-Debrunner-Funk, and with plenty of examples. It can be found at http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/project/f ... pre-alpha/

daler
Textkit Neophyte

Post by daler »

I'm in the middle of Dobson and like it very much. The CD that came with it is invaluable for me, as I need to hear as well as read to really learn. Good luck.