Αny Keyman users?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
pster
Textkit Zealot

Αny Keyman users?

Post by pster »

My accents have gone missing. Any Keyman experts have any ideas where they went? I got the letters, but I can't get a breathing mark or accent.

ΑΒΓΔΕ αβγδε but no accents. Αrgh. Any ideas?

Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Αny Keyman users?

Post by Gregorius »

I had the same problem after recovering from a serious malware attack that still managed to leave a couple of bugs behind (namely, the Keyman issue with diacritics, random search-engine redirection, and the sudden non-functionality of any browser except Explorer). Have you tried re-installing Keyman?

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

Well, I uninstalled what I had. Then I installed the Keyman desktop. But that isn't free. DId things change? Do you have to pay now to use Keyman for Greek? Seems that way. Does anybody have any free download links for Keyman? It started with me not being able to get accents. Then I reinstalled. But this time it was some Keyman desktop 30 day trial. Still no accents anyway. How am I going to enter my Greek? :cry:

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

I believe the current version of Keyman is no longer free (~ $23 for the basic version). I got a new computer last spring and had the same problem -- I needed to configure it to type non-Latin alphabets -- and ended up deciding that it made sense to pay for the program. The price seems reasonable and it's important to me to have the functionality.

Until recently there was a page or two (I don't remember where, and I can't find it again) offering an earlier (free) version of Keyman for download along with a Greek keyboard, but I suspect that the program may no longer work properly with current versions of Windows if you do manage to find and install it.

Sibylla may be another alternative.

Windows does have a polytonic Greek keyboard, although it's nowhere near a user-friendly or intuitive as the Keyman ones. Or you might take a look at this or this. If you're willing to put some time into it, I think it's also possible to modify a Windows keyboard to create a custom version.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

Thanks. That is what I wanted to hear. I wonder how Keyman sabotaged my accents? I didn't get a new computer. Maybe there were auto updates? I dunno. Yeah, I choose Keyman because it seemed the most intuitive. I guess Modern Greek just has the acute so whatever they are using doesn't have the full functionality for Ancient?? Argh. Now that I think of it all, I may have had some other problem and shot myself in the foot uninstalling the older Keyman because when I downloaded the trial for the new Keyman I was still having the accent problem. Argh! Shouldn't have listened to Gregorious! I'll check out those links Spiphany. Believe it or not I was going to put up my latest and late Sidgwick composition!

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

Well, you could always use this until you get the Greek setup on your computer working again. Technical problems shouldn't have to stand in the way of composition practice :wink:
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

spiphany wrote:Until recently there was a page or two (I don't remember where, and I can't find it again) offering an earlier (free) version of Keyman for download along with a Greek keyboard, but I suspect that the program may no longer work properly with current versions of Windows if you do manage to find and install it.
A year or two ago I had to upgrade my computer to Windows 7 and the free version of Keyman no longer worked. I think I knew what the reason was (maybe something to do with programs having to be officially signed for Windows, but the free one predated all that) but in any case I decided I still needed Keyman and I just bought the program. It does seem to work so much better than the other options, or maybe it just seems like that to me because I'm so used to it.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library