Greek and Latin cognates --any good books?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Greek and Latin cognates --any good books?

Post by 1%homeless »

I like memorizing words through etymology study. Is there a good book that deals with Latin and Greek cognate vocabulary?

Geoff
Textkit Fan

vocab resources

Post by Geoff »

I have a few things which may help.

I've heard of one book called Mastering Greek Vocabulary by Thomas A Robinson. I have a list of cognates from it, but I'm not sure about the rest of the book.

Dictionary of Latin and Greek origins may help some (Moore & Moore)

A good old American Heritage Dictionary could be fun. :D

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Thanks! Although they weren't exactly what I'm looking for, I've checked them out on amazon and they look useful. I've found another book while searching: "Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek", but it seems pretty similar to Mastering Greek Vocabulary. What would be ideal for someone who knows some latin would be a dictionary showing relationships between latin and greek, not just english... but oh well, you can't have everything. :-)

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Mastering NT Greek Vocabulary

Post by Geoff »

Here's one more I forgot.

Mark Wilson

Mastering NT Greek Vocabulary

You may have seen it, its probably not too much different from the others, but if I understand right in focuses on semantic domains.

Hope it may help