New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
aretay00
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by aretay00 »

I have just started learning Homeric Greek, out of a love of etymology and linguistics in general. Hopefully this site will be helpful for me. :D

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

aretay00 wrote:I have just started learning Homeric Greek, out of a love of etymology and linguistics in general. Hopefully this site will be helpful for me. :D
What text are you using, out of curiosity?

teddy2005
Textkit Neophyte

Post by teddy2005 »

Hey guys,

I actually just dropped out of the ridiculously intensive 10 week Latin summer class that uses Moreland and Fleischer, so now I'm just trying to learn Latin on my own at a more normal pace.

Looking forward to schlogging through it with some of you out there :D

-D

mrawesomeman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mrawesomeman »

Hello everyone. My name is Matt. I'm attempting (this is the key word) to teach myself Koine Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek. Just wanted to introduce myself.

josmac1971
Textkit Neophyte

Post by josmac1971 »

My name is Joel, I am starting to learn both Greek and Latin to prepare for going back to school in the near future. I am interested in a second career involving academics and/or church work. I intend to eventually learn Hebrew and German also. I am interested in ancient text, church history, and history of the Lutheran church. I hope to meet people here with similar interest. I have found the hardest part is making time to study with full time work.

RDH
Textkit Neophyte

Post by RDH »

Hi,

I'm not entirely new. I signed up about a year and a half ago and asked, I think, a single question; so it seemed appropriate to post here. I took Latin in university, using Wheelock, and I barely made it. Barely making it was a first, though; I'd always failed language courses. (I was diagnosed with ADHD in third year, after failing French, for the second time, despite a serious effort.) In Latin I found out that I was at least capable of learning a second language, which endeared it to me, and I can't stand being able to read only bits of it. I read about Lingua Latina on this site, which I hoped wouldn't grind my mental gears quite as badly as Wheelock did. I'm just getting started at L.L. again after dropping it for a few months, and I'm hoping that this forum will help me stay motivated. (And I assume I'll have all sorts of questions as soon as I get a little further into the book.)

marykekr
Textkit Neophyte

Post by marykekr »

Hello! I am a new member. I teach latin and ancient greek in an athenian public high school. But teaching is not only a typical occupation. I try to present latin texts as a basis and the students give the historical background of the event we search, or try to give the frame of a historical period. I tried to give some informations through Galileo's work "Sidereus Nuncius", a book that I had translated from latin, and the students used some scenes to write a theatrical play and put it in a historical background.
Beyond that, latin language as we try to understand it and give the grammar or syntax, is more than a simple topic. So, if I may, here is what we usually say :) about the use of an infinitive [from the Caesar's phrase "interim Caesar Aeduos frumentum ... flagitare"] We all know that an infinitive could complete the meaning/or the syntax of a verb as a subject or an object. But we have the use of an infinitive in the place of Imperative. Sometimes the orators use the infinitive in the place of a simple tense just to show admiration or astonishment or outrage. And there is for latin language the use of infinitivus historicus, when someone wants to give a story, then he uses the infinitive in the place of past tense and the subject is in nominative. Thank you for your patience, Salvete! marykekr :)

Dominus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dominus »

Ave,

Hi, I'm a 19 year old Australian University student. It is really sad to see these beautiful important classical tongues slowly die. As a lover of Roman history, and just history in general, I thought it was necessary of me to learn a classical language. That being Latin. My school didn't teach Latin, or much history in general, many in Australia don't. So I am doing my part to carry on the language. I've started from D'Ooge LFB and I can't wait to master the language. I learn't French at school, planning to become fluent, and it sort of helps in my Latin studies. My parents almost laughed when I told them I wanted to learn Latin, as its a "useless" language - in their closed minds. I'm currently up to finishing the 1st declination. Wish me luck, as in my mind, Latin is the most important language of all time, and should be mandatory amoung all western schools.

Veni Vidi Didici
Last edited by Dominus on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RES PVBLICA

Neil Davidson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Neil Davidson »

04 July 2011
I collect antique maps which strains my linguistic skills - notably the Latin ones - which are limited to 'O' Level Latin obtained many decades ago
Can anyone help me with the full version of what seems to be a Latin ?dedication and consecration? (of a map, a book etc) "L. M. D. C. Q."?
I am already grateful for your attention!
Neil Davidson

mpolo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mpolo »

Salvete omnes!

Iam multos annos linguam latinam doceo secundum methodos Johannis Orbergensis. Sed necesse est mihi paulum adiutorii. Spero ut aliquis me iuvet. Postam electronicam mittam postea in foro latino ut plures eam videant.

Valete.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

mpolo wrote:
Iam multos annos linguam latinam doceo secundum methodos Johannis Orbergensis. Sed necesse est mihi paulum adiutorii. Spero ut aliquis me iuvet. Postam electronicam mittam postea in foro latino ut plures eam videant.
That's easy for you to say. :mrgreen:

{ τουτο ρᾳδιον σε λαλειν. } :mrgreen:
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Venabili
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Venabili »

Hi everyone.

Just starting Latin... and figured out I can as well join the forum. I am an old fashioned learner - I seem to be learning a lot more from the old style textbooks (grammar, drills and repetition) than from all the new systems that keep popping up (although the new systems are making great readers for the most part :) ).

Qlder75
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Qlder75 »

Hi All,

I have just started learning Classical Latin and would like to eventually move onto Greek also. I have just finished 1 semester at university (beginners) using Reading Latin by Jones and Sidwell and would love to continue with this text independently if anyone else is using the same text or is interested in starting.

Feel free to shoot me an email or pm.

Cheers.

collegegal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by collegegal »

Hi, I'm Susanne, and I'm here because I'm looking for a latin translation for a tattoo. Obviously, I want to make sure it's 100% accurate. Thank you all so much for your help :)

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

I am learning Greek having already learn't SerbCroat which is much more of a help to me
than I expected.

Daivid
λονδον

quant
Textkit Neophyte

Post by quant »

Salvete!

My first exposure to Latin was in pre-Vatican II Catholic grade school (suppose I'm dating myself, here). I studied Latin and French in high school and some French and German in college. I'm still able to read and speak a bit of German.

Recently, I decided to teach myself Latin with the goal of reading the Vulgate, ecclesiastical documents, and of course, Harrius Potter, and perhaps conversing in the language. I stumbled upon the Textkit site while researching Latin language resources.

As of yet, I haven't decided which method to use--traditional grammar/translation, inductive, or maybe a combination of the two.

Valete,

quant

curiousgeorge
Textkit Neophyte

Post by curiousgeorge »

Hello world! :)

Aspasia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Aspasia »

I've been reading about Ancient Greece on and off for the last several years. I'd like to learn to read Greek and perhaps be able to read some original texts. This looks like the perfect place. I'm amazed that such a forum exists, with so many texts available! Thanks and congrats to all involved!

Aspasia

dhousto6
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dhousto6 »

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Baltimore! I'm a former high school Latin teacher and current PhD candidate in classical philology at The Johns Hopkins University. Of all that I love about Latin and Greek, I'm most into the evolution of prose, prose composition, style, and prosody. I could never pick a favorite author, but right now I'm reading Livy, Herodotus, Varro, and Vergil's Eclogues.

I first came to Textkit a few years ago, looking for grammars in the public domain. Now I'd like to get involved with the community. From here I'll check out the forum and see what's happening.

Best wishes and happy reading!

Aspasia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Aspasia »

I just tried to download one of the texts but I wasn't allowed to. It said I wasn't logged in, although I am in this Forum section. Interesting. Anyway, I think I'm supposed to post twice before I can do somethings, right? I'm posting in this thread again in hopes that I will now be able to download one of the texts so I can get started.

Aspasia

trampledwords
Textkit Neophyte

Post by trampledwords »

Hey guys,

Just joined the forums to learn more about textkit as I prepare to study latin a bit in university. Look forward to interacting with u all..

mercysgr8
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mercysgr8 »

I am a mom homeschooling a teen daughter. She and I will be starting Latin next month. This will be interesting for me as the only language experience I have is a long forgotten year of high school Spanish and a little Korean I picked up in the military!

ctapobep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ctapobep »

Hello, my name is Stanislav, I'm from Ukraine. Interesting to learn Latin because a lot of terms came from it into modern languages. Looking for good and easy books and audio.

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

Hello and so glad to have found Textkit!

I'm an intermediate Greek reader in So. Cal. struggling my way through Iliad book I with my young daughter. A daily struggle and joy. Greatly looking forward to visiting these boards along the way! Thanks a lot and best,

Helikwps aka Tim

jefferz
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jefferz »

hey, all.. i'm a 47 year old guy with a lofty goal many of you share -- to be able to read Plato in the Greek. i only found after looking into the matter how very difficult a problem this is, and the years of study i am looking at.

but to make matters worse, i am actually looking for a spoken method like the Pimsleur language learning system (see also Simon & Schuster website) -- but i know this is a tall order. however, if you've ever used a Pimsleur learning tape, you know how superior they are to anything else out there for getting you off the ground with a language. Dr. Pimsleur really did study how we learn a language, and he replicated it. Too bad this does not exist for Classical Greek. i do believe it could actually be done, with some funding.

in contrast, Classical Greek is most often taught starting from grammar and syntax rules, but that's really backwards from how we all learn language in real life. we start by hearing, practicing speaking -- in short by being IMprecise. only later do we learn precision, in the advanced stages of a language, not at the beginning.

when we want to speak English, we don't look up the right declension of a verb in a table -- we just know it from usage. the "tables" are in our head, but not in list format, in "feel" format. Pimsleur knew this.

so i would love to find a similar method for teaching Classical Greek.

i've looked at all the "tables" methods: Athenaze, Mastronarde, Hardy Hansen, and others.

for this "learn through using" method, i haven't found anything spoken of course. but the closest things in writing i have found are Peter Jones' "Learn Ancient Greek", which is fun, but really only a start.. and also the 3 JACT books which form a full year course, and apparently try to give you as close to a Pimsleur method as possible -- usage. but it's in writing, not spoken. still, i appreciate the effort to use a method closer to natural language learning. i have not tried it yet, but this is what i only gather from the reviews.. i may give the JACT triplet of books a shot, soon.

i also heard that this guy, Adamantios Korais, started a movement back in the early 1800's to get Greek back to its Classical roots, and actually a whole generation of Greeks grew up speaking this version of Greek (katheravousa) which was closer to the original Classical Greek, and supposedly some of these people are still around and can read Plato in the original without having to sit with a dictionary. However, unfortunately, Katheravousa came to be associated politically with the dictatorship of 1967-74 and the Colonels, so that now it has put a bad taste in everyone's mouth, and was later discontinued. But what I got from this was that it IS possible to learn to SPEAK and THINK in ancient Greek NATURALLY, not mechanically. And that reading the Plato would be possible without looking every dang word and declension/inflection up. And i would very much like to take that road, rather than the dictionary and grammar books. Don't get me wrong -- i have nothing against these tools, per se -- and they can be used very much for precision. But as I say IMHO they should be used in advanced stages of a language .. not in the beginning.

has anyone any ideas or sources for learning Ancient/Classical/Attic Greek in this natural way? i would be forever in your debt!

thanks.

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

There are actually a couple of courses which use a more "natural" approach to learning Greek.

- Assimil's Le Grec ancien sans peine (course book is in French & Greek, audio in Greek only)
- Christopher Rico's Polis Koine. Again, the course is originallly designed for French speakers. I think he's working on an English translation of the text but I don't know if it's out yet. Note that the course is for Koine Greek, not classical Greek, so there will be some minor differences in vocabulary and usage.
- Athenaze has a mixture of more traditional methodology as well as learning through exposure.
- Ancient Greek Alive is very different than Athenaze but also uses a mixture of approaches.

I also have a list of some other possibilities (readers etc) at http://spiphanies.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... aders.html

Please note I don't have experience using any of these courses to actually learn Greek, as I learned from a traditional textbook, but there are users here who may be able to share more about their experiences. Also, check the Greek forums, as this topic has come up before.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

jefferz wrote

has anyone any ideas or sources for learning Ancient/Classical/Attic Greek in this natural way?
Hi, Jefferz,

In this site

http://schole.ning.com/

We speak and write to each other in Ancient Greek. Come here and use Greek as a living language.

{ jefferz ἔγραψε

has anyone any ideas or sources for learning Ancient/Classical/Attic Greek in this natural way?

χαῖρε Ιεφφερζ,

ἐν τούτῳ τῷ τόπῳ

http://schole.ning.com/

λαλοῦμεν καί τε γράφομεν Ἐλληνιστὶ ἀλλήλοις.
ἐλθὲ δεῦρο καὶ χρῶ τῇ γλώσσῃ τῇ Ἐλληνικῇ ὥσπερ γλώσσῃ ζῶσῃ.}

mariano
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mariano »

Hello, I never did learn Latin at school (I opted for French instead) and now that I study history at the university of Hamburg I need some understanding of latin inscriptions, especially working on historic maps of Hamburg, where I could need some help in translation.
(see my request at "Learning Greek" with the subject "Hamburga...")

sligoriverblues
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sligoriverblues »

Hi everyone. My name is John. I finished theology, then I studied Classics for one year, but I had to interrupt it and now I'd like to get into it again. :)

Aluarus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Aluarus »

Alvarus ceteris consodalibus salutem,

Hispanus adulescens sum amans linguam latinam graecamque. Quibus numquam (proh dolor) studui in schola, sed a me ipso. Didici igitur linguam latinam libris Magistri Iohannis Orbergii nomine “Lingua Latina per se Illustrata”. Mox vero incipiam librum secundum c.n. “Roma Æterna” ut meliorem reddam latinitatem meam.

Placet mihi quoque lingua graeca, quam ante IX menses discere coepi (sed propter interruptiones, etc, tantummodo mense maio me eam coepisse dici potest) libris Athénaze (Ἀθήναζε) atque Assimil le Grec Ancien qui maxime mihi libuere. Sed, cum solum duos libros habere ad linguas classicas discendas non sufficere, etiam hic invenire alios volo, quibus utens, graecitatem augeam.

Χαίρετε ἅπαντες,

Ἱσπανὸς παῖς ἐιμι, καὶ φιλῶ τε τὴν ἑλληνικὴν γλώτταν καὶ τὴν ῥωμαιστί. Ῥομαιστὶ γὰρ ἔμαθον βιβλίοις νόμιτα Lingua Latina per se Illustrata διδασκάλου Ὀρβέργος. Οὐδέποτε δὴ ἐν διδασκαλείῳ ἑλληνιστὶ οὐδὲ ῥωμαιστὶ ἐμάνθανον. Δία τοῦτο μέλλω καλῶς τε καὶ σαφῶς μαθήσειν αὑτάς (ἐκεῖναν μόνον ἀπὸ τοῦ μένος Μαίου (?) μανθάνω). Μάλα φιλῶ τάσδε παλαίας φοναίς! Ἐθέλω νῦν τὸ γράφειν μελετᾶν τε καὶ τὸ λαλεῖν ἑλληνιστί. Χρῶμαι τοῖς βιβλίοις Assimil Le Grec Ancien καὶ Ἀθήναζε. Nαί, ἀγαθῇ τύχῃ!

Hi there,

I am a young spanish guy who just loves classical languages. I learned Latin using Hans' Orberg Lingua Latina per se Illustrata books (though I will soon start the second volume), since they didn't teach me Latin at school.

I began studying greek about 9 months ago, but because of my college studies (and laziness) we could say I started last May. I have used Athénaze and Assimil Le Grec Ancien sans Peine ever since, so my greek writing is actually quite poor. Anyway, I hope to find soon some good books on greek writing and composition.

Regards,
Aluarus
“Captivæ Graeciæ lingua in paucorum Eruditorum memoria hodie vivit; laborandum est, ne omnino intereat linguarum pulcherrima” Balbinus, Verisimilia Humaniorum Disciplinarum, XII, 3.

“In omni disciplina infirma est artis præceptio sine summa adsiduitate exercitations” R. ad Herennium, III, 40.

andrewmsailing
Textkit Neophyte

Post by andrewmsailing »

Hi

I'm Andy, I'm 62, the last time I studied Latin was in High School and I never studied Greek. When I was about 30 I took out a copy of the Aeneid book II from the public library. It was from the Loeb Classics, with the text on one page and the English crib on the facing page. (Wish I had discovered these when I was at school) Was interesting to discover that some few shards of high school lessons remained. Now that I'm old, and retired, I want to try learning all over again, both because it's fun and perhaps to avert Alzheimer's. I've already discovered that learning is slower than it used to be. Also, since I don't need to pass tests, my motivation is sometimes a bit of an issue. Anyway, I'm going to give it a go.

I'm a firm believer in the usefulness of learning latin, but I'm not going to preach since I guess this readership is already converted.

Best wishes to all fellow students of whatever age, ability and background.

Andy

zosimas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by zosimas »

Hi, I'm taking on the challenge of trying to learn Greek for reading the new testament. I've been looking for learning alternatives to taking a class.

MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

Salvete omnes!

Linguam latinam iam didici et nunc velim linguam graecam me percipere. Maxime placet imprimis Senecam et Ciceronem legere. Spero fore ut vestro in foro multa iucunda ad utramque linguam pertinentia addiscam, necnon et vobis tironibusque auxilium ferre potero.

Matthaeus vester Ciceronianus.
Bene valete.

Anjelous
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anjelous »

Hello, I'm a college student who majors in absolutely nothing related to Greek. I bought a book that teaches reading knowledge of Homeric Greek and have been working my way through it, thought I'd come over here and get some help when I need it :mrgreen:

Adel
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Adel »

Hi everybody, my name' Adel, I study classics at the University of Mansoura in Egypt, and I'm pretty interested in joining your great community, so please accept me as a friend of yours.

Grochojad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Grochojad »

Salvete. I'm going to college in a month to study Latin and Ancient Greek. I've a decent basics in both and I hope to one day become a real specialist in the field.

MisterP
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MisterP »

Hi everyone! I've just started to teach myself Latin after learning a few basic words in school some years back. Hopefully this site will help me with a few questions I have relating to whether my endeavour is foolhardy :)

MagistraDiana
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MagistraDiana »

Salvete!

I am new to the board. I have just started teaching Latin and I am looking forward to introducing my young students to the joys of learning Latin! I am also happy to have found a forum of users who share an interest in the classical languages and look forward to getting to know you all.

Valete!

~Magistra Diana

Kurama
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kurama »

Hello, I want to learn Acient Greek to further my study of philosophy and classical culture.

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ailuros »

Greetings! I studied classics many years ago in college and, like many others on this board, am returning to Greek later in life (probably don't have the time to renew the Latin too). So far I am enjoying the experience tremendously. Look forward to chatting on the board with other students.