Latin Made Simple - Doug Julius

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
beerclark
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Made Simple - Doug Julius

Post by beerclark »

I was curious if anyone has an opinion about this book?

I began reading D'Ooge and enjoyed it. But I started looking around for exercises to practice more as I went along and came across this book. I am not far into it but I think I am going to read it all the way through before I switch again.

I like the exercises in it and I also like that he starts early in verbs. But one thing I don't like is that he will not use macrons. I agree with the idea that 'the Romans didn't use them', but it seems like a basic tool to teach the initial declensions and cases where the long vowels seem important and continual.

Right now my plan is to finish this one then maybe go through D'Ooge again (I like listening to the Latinum recordings as reinforcement) or maybe go to Wheellock. I think it would benefit me personally to get that kind of reinforcement even if I go through them quickly.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin Made Simple - Doug Julius

Post by adrianus »

Others may help; I don't have Julius's book. As for macrons, the Romans didn't use them because the Roman's didn't need them,—they already spoke Latin or had the evidence for distinguishing vowel length everywhere in considered speech. Novice Latin learners need them. It's a good excuse for offering less.

De isto libro quem non habeo, alii te adjuvent. De macronibus, opus sunt tironibus; non autem romanis qui ubique in sermonibus usitatis rectisque discrimen inter vocales longas et correptas audire possunt. Ea inficiari patiatur minus offerre.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

motchmaster
Textkit Neophyte

Post by motchmaster »

I have a 1962 copy of Latin Made Simple. From what I understand, the differences between each new one is purely cosmetic. It has parallel text readings.The dictionary in the back only has about 400-500 words. I used it after taking a very looong break from Latin. Everything is explained very... simply. I like it.

beerclark
Textkit Neophyte

Post by beerclark »

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.

adrianus: I agree about the Romans already spoke the language so they would be able to figure our long vowels.. but I didn't think about the 'work' the author might be avoiding!

motchmaster: I didn't realize how long this book has been around. The library copy I have is probably a newer print. And I also splurged for the Nook version. I like some of the simplicity for now since I am just starting. I think I like his order of teaching a little better then D'Ooge.. but we'll see as I get farther! :D