Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
JDL
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JDL »

Greetings to all!

I just stumbled across this site a week or two ago, and have really enjoyed going through the old posts as well as availing myself of some of the grammars in the download areas. I'm not currently enrolled in a formal Latin or Greek course at university, but rather am studying these two languages out of a longstanding interest in the classics, and a desire to read them in the original Latin and Greek. However, I'm still very much a beginner in both languages, so I know there'll be several years of study ahead of me before I can get myself to that level.

I'm currently living in Japan, studying Japanese full-time, which doesn't leave a lot of time to pursue my other interests, such as Latin and Greek, but I'm sure that I can fit in an hour or two here and there and hopefully make some progress.

By the way, I'm Canadian, so it's nice to see that there are several other Canucks posting on this board!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

My mother always said, "Go learn Japanese and work there - you will gain great abundances of paper."

It's very great that you are actually over there! I could never do that! But then again, the only exposure to Japanese culture I have is Takeshi's castle!

Anyhow welcome! I recommend Latin For Beginners by Benjamin L. D'Ooge for quick excellent progress in Latin; and John Williams White's First Greek Book for Greek :D Good luck

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hi JDL! Hope this forum will help you with your studies :)

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Hey JDL!

As a fellow Canuck, best of luck wih the Latin and Greek studies. Feel free to post any questions as it helps everyone.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

welcome here, JDL :)

where in canada are you from?

JDL
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JDL »

Thanks to Episcopus for the text recommendations. "Latin For Beginners" looks to be fairly straightforward and well organized, so I'll print off the first few lessons and see how long it takes me to get through them.

And in answer to the query from my fellow Canuck, I'm from a small town (and I do mean SMALL) about 2 hours north of Toronto. I used to think it was a bit too laid-back and tranquil there, but after living in Tokyo for upwards of a year now, I definitely miss the peace and quiet of small town life. But don't get me wrong, Tokyo is a great place, too. I'll be studying here for at least one more year, and then if the right opportunity came up, I wouldn't be adverse to staying here for the long haul, and amassing some of the paper that Episcopus mentioned. 8)

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: New member

Post by mariek »

Hi JDL! Welcome to Textkit! Glad to hear you found your way here and also managed to find the downloads. Wow, you're really ambitious to learn both Greek and Latin at the same time. Good luck!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Episcopus wrote:My mother always said, "Go learn Japanese and work there - you will gain great abundances of paper."

I don't get it. What does this mean?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

ah, another easterner. I am all alone out here in the west. ;)

japan sounds cool though... but I don't know if I could handle it for too long. Too crowded... I like my space (of course, since I'm from western canada... ;)