Intro

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
catfishpkt
Textkit Neophyte

Intro

Post by catfishpkt »

Greetings:

Just starting my study of Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek. This is one of the long term projects I have been putting off till after college. I look forward to finishing the Iliad, Odyssey, then branch in to other dialects to explore Greek philosophies and sciences. Ultimately my goal is to read the New Testament in Greek to satisfy my bucket list.

Tim
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Intro

Post by Tim »

Hello Catfishpkt!

I'm also new to greek, about 2 years into it, it's been rewarding to learn this. Reading the NT in greek was also my motivation from learning greek. Particularly the letters of Paul.

But can I ask you, why are you starting with Homer if your goal is to read the NT? Is it so that you will have a much better understanding of greek when you do read the NT? I just jumped right into the NT, which they say is easier to read than the Iliad. I'm not saying this to discourage you from reading Homer, which I would also like to do someday. I'm just curious.

Tim

catfishpkt
Textkit Neophyte

Post by catfishpkt »

I did weigh the benefits of learning Koine in order to read the NT straight away. I decided to start with Homer because I would like to explore Greek beyond the NT. I could not justify learning the language in order to read one collection of writings. Learning with Homer seems to allow access to the greatest amount of interesting text.

Also I do not want the NT to be my first reading in Greek. I would much rather approach Koine as my second (preferably third) dialect and be able to read the text with greater competency. I fear that to go directly into the NT would make it an academic chore instead of the enlightening experience I desire it to be.

catfishpkt
Textkit Neophyte

Post by catfishpkt »

Also I thought I posted this to the new member intro thread, many apologies to the moderators.

Tim
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tim »

catfishpkt wrote:I did weigh the benefits of learning Koine in order to read the NT straight away. I decided to start with Homer because I would like to explore Greek beyond the NT. I could not justify learning the language in order to read one collection of writings. Learning with Homer seems to allow access to the greatest amount of interesting text.

Also I do not want the NT to be my first reading in Greek. I would much rather approach Koine as my second (preferably third) dialect and be able to read the text with greater competency. I fear that to go directly into the NT would make it an academic chore instead of the enlightening experience I desire it to be.
I like your reasoning on this.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

catfishpkt wrote

I like your reasoning on this.
Me too

{ κἀγω }
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.