Homeric Greek study group?

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
delicious
Textkit Neophyte

Homeric Greek study group?

Post by delicious »

I wanted to know if there are any Homeric Greek study groups around.

Eh, are there?

I have "A Reading Course in Homeric Greek" and the Pharr PDF, so anybody wanna get friendly? I hoped a few people here would care to start one up if there isn't a group already. I just found out how awesome skype is as a tool. And, how awesome would it be to have regular Homeric Greek parties (wut, I mean study groups) via skype? My schedule is (surprisingly) flexible for folks in different time zones. Get at me.

rwl4
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Homeric Greek study group?

Post by rwl4 »

Hi,

I'd definitely be interested in getting involved.

delicious
Textkit Neophyte

Post by delicious »

Yeah, I was reading some of the older HomericGroup threads and methinks people are somewhat burnt out on HG. Well, that's probably not true, but I think the last one to start up was in '09. So depending on how long they took to work through Pharr, they probably finished only recently. The main thing would be to find someone to guide us. I'm considering stopping by the local University Classics Dept. and bribing grad students or something. If you're interested we could split the cost of this or that grad student I convince to help us.

There's always the "Pharr by chapter" thread, I guess.

4853tkc
Textkit Neophyte

Post by 4853tkc »

Reading Homer now and loving it. Would like to be part of a study group. I worked my way through Pharr and a lot of Benner. I'm reading Book 24 now. I avoided all memorization and just gutted it out line by line by line. I'm still very slow, about 50 lines a week, but really happy with it.

catfishpkt
Textkit Neophyte

Post by catfishpkt »

Still in the first lessons of Pharr, had to relearn the pronunciation but already knew the alphabet from my fraternity experiences. Finding that a huge help with the vocab words. Also found some alphabet pronunciation videos on YouTube worth a look. Some of the letters do not sound as they should as described in the textbook but still a good reference for me. Just searched for “ancient Greek pronunciation”. It did not include waw or koppa but got my momentum going.

squinzanetto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by squinzanetto »

I'd join a new group too! I'm looking forward to receiving an invitation to form a group to learn homeric Greek together.

rwl4
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rwl4 »

Okay, sounds like we might have a few people who are interested. I am just getting started. I have absolutely no experience with Greek but have spent the better part of a year fascinated with Ancient Greece and have finished the Iliad translated by Ian Johnston, and am about half way through his translation of the Odyssey. I've resolved that I want to be able to read the Iliad in the Homeric Greek, so I guess my question is, where shall we start?

theorganicwill
Textkit Neophyte

Post by theorganicwill »

Any updates on this?

Slagathor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Slagathor »

Hi there,
I'd like to join this group, if possible.
I think that's a really brilliant idea. (:

Ahab
Textkit Member

Post by Ahab »

If there is still an interest in this, I also would like to join.
Why, he's at worst your poet who sings how Greeks
That never were, in Troy which never was,
Did this or the other impossible great thing!
---Robert Browning

-------------------------------------------------------
Hal Friederichs

theorganicwill
Textkit Neophyte

Post by theorganicwill »

E-mail me if interested: theorganicwill@gmail.com

Nathan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nathan »

I am interested. I have A Reading Course In Homeric Greek.