Grammatical frequency analysis

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Grammatical frequency analysis

Post by Sinister Petrus »

I've been pounding my head on the internet for a few days.

I'm looking for an analysis of grammar frequency for Greek. Koine or Attic would be best, but beggars can't be choosers.

I'm looking for it because I found Distler's analysis of Latin in Teach the Latin I Pray You to be very, very helpful for teaching purposes. Since I'm trying to conquer Greek (again), I figure this sort of thing could be useful for this student. Yes, I know there's a genitive absolute. But how common is it in relation to, oh say, genitive of place from which? How common is the aorist vs perfect vs present? Etc.

I'd rather not buy a book to get this information, but if it has to be done…

jswilkmd
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Grammatical frequency analysis

Post by jswilkmd »

The only things I know of--and I don't know everything--that have this capability are the BibleWorks and Gramcord software programs for the New Testament. And even these--because they are often a matter of scholarly debate--can't distinguish between objective and subjective genitives, genitive of means, genitive of manner and the like.

Now, Pharr has a table of how often the various verb forms occur in Homer on pp. l-lii of his textbook, but not for nouns, adjectives, and so on.

And to expect to do it for free, without buying any books or software at all, huh? Well, good luck with that.

Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

jswilkmd wrote:The only things I know of--and I don't know everything…
Thank you. This is a starting place, which puts me ahead of where I was.

If I have to buy a book, I have to buy a book. I'm not sure about software (says the man using the internet). I'd rather have the information on the page for me to ruminate in my head after reading a bit of Greek. I think I know where I can track down a copy of Pharr to borrow.

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, for stats on verbs, check out part 9 of duhoux's verbe grec (in french), starting from pg 498, google preview here:

http://books.google.fr/books?id=IfCKYns ... &q&f=false

cheers, chad :)

Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

cb wrote:hi, for stats on verbs, check out part 9 of duhoux's verbe grec (in french), starting from pg 498, google preview here:

http://books.google.fr/books?id=IfCKYns ... &q&f=false

cheers, chad :)
Chad,

This is fantastic. Thanks. I'd check it out at the library, but the closest library with this book is in Germany. Something tells me that my local municipal library won't be buying it anytime soon.