spqr wrote:I tried that and it didn't work. My computer uses Window Vista.
Therein lies the problem.
On a more serious note, for Mac users:
1. Open System Preferences (under the Apple icon on the top left).
2. Under Personal (top row) go to Language & Text (flag icon).
3. Select Input Sources (far right choice).
4. Scroll down until you get to Hawaiian and check the box.
5. Close System Preferences.
When you're ready to type with macrons:
1. Near the top right there is a flag. Click it.
2. Pull down menu will show Hawaiian. Select it.
3. Type away. Option + (vowel) will get you a macron.
4. Remember to use Option + ' to get an apostrophe. Hawaiian uses something called an okina (glottal stop), and it is definitely note an apostrophe.