Download TEXT copy John Williams White's First Greek Book

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
skywola
Textkit Neophyte

Download TEXT copy John Williams White's First Greek Book

Post by skywola »

You can Download a TEXT copy John Williams White's First Greek Book on my site. Go to google and do a search for "tachufind". I don't think I have enough posts yet to post the link. The benefits of a text
copy is that you can search it! I also have a completely FREE program that I wrote explicitly for this
book, that allows you to search out grammar (word prefixes and suffixes) and color them. Watch the
video on the site for more details . . . . learning Ancient Greek has never been easier!

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Download TEXT copy John Williams White's First Greek Boo

Post by Interaxus »

Skywola,

Basically a good idea BUT ...

Your program won’t run (yes, I have Vista, and NET is installed).

The White text you offer is a mess, for example:

8. ᾽αξετε.
ῃous will lead.

9. ᾽εσχες.
ῃou had.

Or from your pronunciation guide:

Α, α papa, father Alpha

Β, β bed Beta

Γ, γ go, sing Gamma

Δ, δ do Delta

(I can't show your colours because Textkit is nowadays full of bugs too and won't let me colour letters any more.)

In the paradigms, words just don’t line up.

Accents are totally inconsistent and mostly missing. Can it be so difficult merely to copy from the original White book?).

The ‘Sallust's Catiline interlinear’ you offer as a download obviously hasn’t been proofread. For example:

reluti pecora, quae natura finxit prona
even as cattle, which nature has formed prone

reluta??? What's a learner meant to make of that?

All in all, your project is a shambles. I am too old to willingly suffer such disappointment. :mrgreen: You are abusing our patience (to quote that other famous Cataline text), though I do not doubt your good intentions.

My advice is: take time out for a year, fix things, then return with something mildly useful.

Cheers,
Int

skywola
Textkit Neophyte

Post by skywola »

Thanks for the feedback. I have checked all the things you pointed out; none of those errors appear in the text as it is when using my program, Textkit appears to be underlining the letters after the letters I have underlined in my application. (I am assuming you are not viewing it in my application as you said you were unable to run it.)
I use a completely separate computer to install and run my program to test it out after I have compiled it. (It is written in Visual Basic 2010). Everything runs fine on the second computer. If you can tell me what happens when you try to run the program, I may be able to help you get it up and running. I built it very robust, so if there are any errors, it will give you an error message that you can copy and email to me.

As for the lack of accents, version 2.0 of the program was incapable of creating them . . . however, version 3.0 will have all that capability and more . . . to create the accent, all you will have to do is type the letter followed by the shortcut key . . . I would suspect it will be faster than Textkit.

It is no small feat to get a book put together that has both Ancient Greek and English scattered intermittently through it; try it some time even on a very small book, and you will find that it is extremely time consuming, and tedious. I would not even want to admit how much time I have spent on the project of creating the text and the program to go with it, practically living in front of the computer.
So, certainly the intentions were good . . . are there occasional mistakes? I was very diligent in the transcribing, if there are any errors, they are few are far between.

smithon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by smithon »

Thank for sharing your ebook, I'd like to read it,
but I wonder if you can put it on pdf format
high risk merchant account

skywola
Textkit Neophyte

Post by skywola »

Let me see what I can do on that . . . I'm currently working on finishing Tachufind 3.0, which allows accents to be put in for Ancient Greek, and adding them to the First Greek Book Text. I will see what I
can do regarding the PDF . . . Thanks for the comment . . .

skywola
Textkit Neophyte

Post by skywola »

Smithon:

Go here:
http://www.textkit.com/greek_grammar.php

You will find it in PDF, and, a lot of other books . . . .

skywola
Textkit Neophyte

Post by skywola »

I have just added Tachufind 3.0 Beta for download on my website. It now allows the
addition of Greek accents, rough and smooth signs, Latin macrons, etc. I have not
posted the video tutorials yet, but it's pretty easy, just place the cursor after the vowel,
and press the correct button, or, better yet, hold your cursor over the button and
it will give you the keyboard shortcut.
I have been very liberal in adding accents to individual languages, so they contain
lots of options, which lets you do a lot without having to change languages very
often. Go to:

http://www.tachufind.com

to download the program. My email address is listed in the Sphinx and Pyramid image
on the top of the web page . . . this is a Beta test, so comments on the program
are welcome. Shawn

Post Script . . . I am working on a revision of the James Williams White First Greek Book that will
have all of the accents included in it. I am only aobut 1/4 of the way thru the book so far so
it will probably be ready some time around January of 2013.