Methods for learning Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Methods for learning Greek

Post by calvinist »

Exactly as rkday said. The terms are technical linguistic terms bases on the 'literal' meanings of the words analytic/synthetic, which are opposites meaning "break up/bring together". To 'analyze' is to break something into pieces to understand it; a 'synthesis' is a combination of pieces. The term "isolating" is also used for "analytic" languages, but I prefer "analytic" because it corresponds nicely with "synthetic".

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Re: What if all I want is Aristotle?

Post by gfross »

Scribo wrote:
It is vital to cover the grammar and build a working vocabulary but people need to practice reading alongside that
Agreed. Reading units of discourse of a size and difficulty that suit the level of the learner, always at least a paragraph in length, preferably longer. Using the grammar and the vocabulary that the student has already learned. The focus must be on developing the reading skill, not on learning grammar or vocabulary.
Scribo wrote: in an ideal world there would also be composition. Unfortunately this always gets pushed far down the list of priorities
No, no, no, no, no. NO composition in Greek. If our goal is to READ, that is. If we had the choice of spending an hour on composition in Greek or an hour of developing our reading skill by READING, which would we logically choose? Are we studying non-modern Greek in order to read it or to translate from English to Greek, which is what most Greek prose composition boils down to. Let's be logical and efficient about choosing how to spend our time. Do we follow the dictates of traditional pedagogy, now long outdated by the discoveries of modern linguistics, or do we incorporate the modern linguistically sound methods of developing reading skills in a foreign language, as exemplified so expansively in the field of ESL/EFL (English as a Second/Foreign Language) and with such paucity in the field of non-modern Greek? Take at look at the many materials used to help non-English speakers develop the skills needed to read well in English, and you'll begin to understand what is sorely needed in the field of classical Greek pedagogy.

Learning a "dead" language (and Homeric/Attic/Koine Greek is "dead"; no one communicates using only those grammatical patterns anymore) differs from learning a modern language in that the goal is to develop one set of skills, not four -- reading, not listening comprehension and speaking and writing as well. Translation from Greek to English is a fifth set of skills, and translation from English to Greek is a sixth set of skills. Learning to translate is most efficiently done after we have learned to read both languages. Again, how efficient do we want to be in our study of the language? The answer is obvious to me: if our goal is to read Greek, we must of necessity focus only on the methods needed to develop the skill of reading. Everything else is a misdirection of energy. Of course, we humans are notorious for choosing to misdirect our energy, aren't we? But, as they say, whatever turns you on. (grin)

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Interesting rant, I would agree totally with you if one's only goal was to be able to read texts as literature. However as a Classical Philologist, yes composition is immensely helpful with a vast range of things I shan't waste my time listing.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

I think that many learn Latin and Greek with the goal of being able to write in the language as well as read it. Or is that unacceptable? Also, modern linguistics doesn't support the idea that active and passive knowledge of a language are entirely separate spheres. Improving one's active knowledge of a language (writing) also improves one's passive knowledge (reading). The relationship is complex, but they do influence one another. I agree that translation from English to Greek is a different "skill" from a "pure" active knowledge of Greek, just as reading Greek is different from translating into English. However, it is a very effective tool for acquiring an active knowledge of an ancient, dead language since we do not have living populations to converse with.

refe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by refe »

Also, learning to write in Greek greatly enhances your acquisition of the language. I don't think it's a waste of time at all, in fact I believe that it is one of the most valuable skills a student of Greek (or any 'dead' language) can engage in. I'm interesting in reading, yes, but reading with understanding. Forcing yourself to make decisions about vocabulary, word order, idioms to employ, etc. allows a much more complete understanding of those words and grammatical formulas. Besides, if I can't communicate even basic units of thought myself how can I suppose that I am adequately understanding what I read?
εἰς ἔπαινον δόξης τῆς χάριτος αὐτοῦ
http://www.GreekingOut.com

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

gfross wrote
Take at look at the many materials used to help non-English speakers develop the skills needed to read well in English, and you'll begin to understand what is sorely needed in the field of classical Greek pedagogy.
Hi,

Could you describe what these resources might look like?

[ χαιρε. διηγου, παρακαλω, τοιαυτα. ]

(I'm writing in Greek because I hope it will improve my reading fluency.)
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

I also don't understand the common idea that newer methods and pedagogies are better. Newer is not always better. During the middle ages and early Renaissance Latin (and to a lesser extent Greek) were taught so effectively as to be the common languages of exchange in Western Europe. This was being done even before the printing press was invented. I believe that modern linguistics is very helpful and insightful in the area of language acquisition, but the collective knowledge of mankind isn't a constant, steady forward progress. Sometimes we lose certain skills and knowledge only to be relearned hundreds of years later. Language pedagogy is no different. Some of the older pedagogical methods are very effective. Look up "ars memoriae" or "method of loci" for a perfect example of a set of skills that has been mostly forgotten and lost by the modern education system (actually it was lost hundreds of years ago because of accusations of sorcery and witchcraft). I stumbled upon this system accidentally and have used it very effectively for remembering lists of items. I've also made extensive use of the mnemonic major system for remembering numbers, another useful tool that I never heard mentioned in any formal school setting.

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gfross »

Scribo wrote:Interesting rant, I would agree totally with you if one's only goal was to be able to read texts as literature. However as a Classical Philologist, yes composition is immensely helpful with a vast range of things I shan't waste my time listing.
(blush) Yes, I was on my soapbox, wasn't I. Sorry about that. As I continue to think about AG pedagogy, I have come more and more to realize that some (many?) students of AG are not really interested in focusing on developing their reading skills. My reason for studying AG is to be able to read it as easily as possible, so that is why I am focused on the development of reading skills. My irritation arose from the fact that I had not been able to find a beginning AG grammar that placed reading as primary; so many were traditional grammar-translation in orientation. However, I have now found a very good text for me: Anne Mahoney's _First Greek Course_ and accompanying reader, _Rouse's Greek Boy_. It is evident that Mahoney has a good background in linguistics, as well as Greek, and she has put this knowledge to excellent pedagogical use in her texts.

Composition from English to Greek has always seemed to me the most unnecessary activity in a study of Greek -- maybe an intriguing and delightful one, but still unnecessary --, unless one is a student in an educational system that will eventually require him or her to write a composition as part of their examination procedure. Heh, this is your "pragmatic American" talking now. (grin)

Would you name one activity that composition of this kind has helped you with as a Classical philologist? I'm just curious. I have always thought that philologists were more interested in studying the cultural aspects of a particular language or language family than in composing essays, plays, stories, or poems in one of the languages in which they specialize.

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gfross »

calvinist wrote:I also don't understand the common idea that newer methods and pedagogies are better. Newer is not always better. During the middle ages and early Renaissance Latin (and to a lesser extent Greek) were taught so effectively as to be the common languages of exchange in Western Europe. This was being done even before the printing press was invented. I believe that modern linguistics is very helpful and insightful in the area of language acquisition, but the collective knowledge of mankind isn't a constant, steady forward progress. Sometimes we lose certain skills and knowledge only to be relearned hundreds of years later. Language pedagogy is no different. Some of the older pedagogical methods are very effective. Look up "ars memoriae" or "method of loci" for a perfect example of a set of skills that has been mostly forgotten and lost by the modern education system (actually it was lost hundreds of years ago because of accusations of sorcery and witchcraft). I stumbled upon this system accidentally and have used it very effectively for remembering lists of items. I've also made extensive use of the mnemonic major system for remembering numbers, another useful tool that I never heard mentioned in any formal school setting.
No argument with you there. All I wanted was a first-year AG course that would focus on helping me to develop my reading skills. I had found a Latin one (Hans H. Ørberg's Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata), but not a Greek one. But now I am content. As I told Scribo, I am highly satisfied with Anne Mahoney's First Greek Course and accompanying reader, Rouse's Greek Boy. I'm not a particular fan of using the Direct Method in teaching a language that is no longer used primarily as a means of oral communication, but I'm not against it, either. However, Mahoney has revised Rouse's texts so as to include very helpful reading exercises based on modern applied linguistic principles, and since I am studying AG at home, I don't have to participate in the classroom activity of developing my oral communication skills in classical Greek -- lots of fun socially, no doubt, but all that extra work! And ten years later, who from that classroom is going to remember how to communicate orally in a "dead" language? Fond memories, nothing more. But one will have much more incentive to keep reading; that activity need never die.

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gfross »

calvinist wrote:I think that many learn Latin and Greek with the goal of being able to write in the language as well as read it. Or is that unacceptable? Also, modern linguistics doesn't support the idea that active and passive knowledge of a language are entirely separate spheres. Improving one's active knowledge of a language (writing) also improves one's passive knowledge (reading). The relationship is complex, but they do influence one another. I agree that translation from English to Greek is a different "skill" from a "pure" active knowledge of Greek, just as reading Greek is different from translating into English. However, it is a very effective tool for acquiring an active knowledge of an ancient, dead language since we do not have living populations to converse with.
Interesting. Why would anyone want to spend time learning how to write in a language that is no longer used for written communication, except, of course, members of the Roman Catholic Church who produce official documents in Latin or members of the Greek Orthodox Church who have need to do so? Just for fun, I guess. To each his own. :) I certainly don't find it unacceptable to learn how write in a "dead" language. I'm just saying that for those who wish to focus on learning to read, learning how to write is an added burden -- by "write," I mean compose. Written fill-in and Cloze, etc. exercises are very helpful in learning the grammar; I welcome written exercises of this kind. That's why I love Ørberg's Exercitia workbook so much -- dozens and dozens of different kinds of written exercises to help one learn the grammar. No compositions to write, no translations to make. Everything in the workbook is designed to help one learn the grammar so as to be able to understand more easily the lengthy passages of delightful narrative discourse (including dialogs) in his main text and supplementary reader.

Yes, I agree that improving the ability to produce written discourse does help one, indirectly, improve the ability to comprehend written discourse, but there is no real need to do so. Which is more efficient in helping one to read: spending time on improving one's recognition skills of written discourse or spending time on improving one's production skills of written discourse? I'm talking about efficiency here, not pleasure, although I hope that learning to read is a pleasurable activity. I'm suggesting that one should go directly to one's goal (by developing reading skills) instead of indirectly (by developing writing skills so as to improve one's reading skills).

Yes, translation can be helpful in learning to read. It is even necessary at times -- using an English-Greek dictionary or the glossary in one's textbook. But translating long passages is not the most helpful way of learning to read. Notice I said "most" helpful. Therefore, why spend the time and effort doing it if one wishes solely to learn to read?

Hmm, "acquiring an active knowledge of an ancient, dead language" -- I won't argue with you there. I suppose by "active knowledge" you mean developing all four skills plus the two kinds of translation. That's fine with me. Great! Go ahead! Have fun! But my goal is simply to read well, so I will try to learn how to do that as efficiently as possible -- and have fun doing it, too. :)

Thanks for your comments!

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gfross »

refe wrote:Also, learning to write in Greek greatly enhances your acquisition of the language. I don't think it's a waste of time at all, in fact I believe that it is one of the most valuable skills a student of Greek (or any 'dead' language) can engage in. I'm interesting in reading, yes, but reading with understanding. Forcing yourself to make decisions about vocabulary, word order, idioms to employ, etc. allows a much more complete understanding of those words and grammatical formulas. Besides, if I can't communicate even basic units of thought myself how can I suppose that I am adequately understanding what I read?
By "reading," I mean "reading with understanding." That goes without saying. How much understanding is another question, of course. One can always improve one's understanding of the discourse of an author, whether ancient or modern.

"Forcing yourself to make decisions" -- But you make your decisions about what "vocabulary, word order, idioms to employ" based on your (or some authority's) previously developed reading ability. By writing in Greek, you are improving your ability to produce language, which is very different from developing your ability to recognize language. If you want to write, I suggest that you copy the grammar and style of a particular Greek author. In order to do the copying, you will have to do "intensive" reading, which means paying close attention to every detail of what you are copying. That is, the reading precedes the copying. And it is the intensive reading that helps you understand better the nature of the language. The copying simply reinforces the intensity of the reading. I assume that you are talking about intensive reading, not extensive reading. The latter means the ability to read lengthy units of discourse quickly and with ease.

If, however, you are talking about composing from your own imagination, I believe that you will be able to do so well only if you have already mastered the "vocabulary, word order, idioms, etc. to employ", and how do you achieve that mastery? By intensive reading of a particular author and by copying his sentences until you believe you have mastered his style. You can break this study down, of course. Read and copy all his uses of the subjunctive or indirect speech, or particular idioms, or whatever category you wish. And then try to imitate them. Then you set aside that author's book and try to imitate that author's style on a particular subject about which he was writing. And when you are satisfied that you can imitate that author's style, you move on and do intensive reading and copying of another author, and then when you believe that you have mastered that author's style, you try to imitate it. And so on and so on. And to make things easier for yourself, you will probably want to limit yourself to a particular period and genre. After doing this for a number of years, you should be able to write in the Greek of that period and genre pretty well.

All of this activity is based on intensive reading. So the ability to read must come first, before the ability to write or compose.

If you want "complete understanding of words," go to Perseus or a large dictionary, and read the unit of discourse in which each author uses the particular word or phrase you are trying to understand. Then copy the words into a notebook and review them from time to time. I believe that doing that will help you achieve your goal of a "complete understanding" much more efficiently than composing. Once again, reading precedes writing.

If you cannot "communicate," i.e., write down, "basic units of thought," then you have not yet done enough intensive reading of the author whose "basic units of thought" you are trying to imitate. You are showing yourself that you need to do more intensive reading, not more writing, so as to familiarize yourself enough with those basic units of thought to be able to produce them in writing with ease. That means, reading, copying, and imitating, reading, copying, and imitating.

One way I use to see whether I "adequately understand[...] what I read" is to have a published translation or two or three or four or more nearby that I can consult. That tells me fast enough.

Of course, all this may sound very tedious, much less interesting perhaps than the delight of the intellectual activity you are now engaged in. I agree, having fun is essential. I'm just offering some suggestions based on my years of experience teaching students to read and write in EFL/ESL. No need to accept them, of course. So if you prefer your current method, stick to it. Whatever works best for you, and you know best what that is. I wish you lots of success and pleasure in your studies!

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gfross »

Markos wrote:gfross wrote
Take at look at the many materials used to help non-English speakers develop the skills needed to read well in English, and you'll begin to understand what is sorely needed in the field of classical Greek pedagogy.
Hi,

Could you describe what these resources might look like?

[ χαιρε. διηγου, παρακαλω, τοιαυτα. ]

(I'm writing in Greek because I hope it will improve my reading fluency.)
LOL (at your "writing in Greek" comment)

Oh, gawd. I don't know if I can. I had easy access to them because publishers' sales representatives would hold book fairs at which we teachers could examine the newest materials, and reps would often try to call on me in my office to show me what new books had just been published. If you lived in London, you could go to Foyle's and browse through their EFL/ESL section, which is the largest I have ever seen in any bookstore.

I'm not sure what you mean by "might look like." How detailed a description do you want?

One kind of resource I would definitely like more of in AG is supplementary readers written for students at different reading skill levels. There are LOTS of these for ESL/EFL students. Longman publishes many of these. Some are in comic book format. Some are abridged versions of popular novels. I used to do contract work for the U.S. government, rewriting non-fiction works for overseas readers, adapting them to a particular reading level, simplifying the grammar and limiting the vocabulary (to 1,000 words or 1,500 words, etc.) depending on the level of the student. There is so much that could be done to move the reader of AG gradually from level to level. I really like Rouse's idea of not caring about what period the vocabulary in his Rouse's Greek Boy reader was from so that he had enough verbal freedom to compose a lengthy narrative (104 pages) in Attic Greek (grammar anyway) for beginning students, moving us gently from chapter to chapter, introducing new grammar in each successive chapter, eventually defining new words only in Greek (in a glossary in the back), in the Greek that the reader had already learned. The reader is designed to accompany Rouse's prescriptive grammar, recently thoroughly revised by Anne Mahoney using her knowledge of applied linguistics: First Greek Course. I love these two books; they are so well designed!

The point is to become so familiar with the grammar and sentence patterns used by a particular author, or the authors of a particular period, that it is only unfamiliar vocabulary that causes problems. Having dozens, even hundreds, of simplified readers to choose from is a great aid in ESL/EFL. I don't know how much of this kind of "authoring" activity can be done for AG. Not enough interest. Learning to read English is big these days; learning to read AG isn't. So publishers go where the interest is -- and the money to be made, of course.

Just some thoughts. Thanks for asking.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

At the end of the day, the most effective method for learning anything is that method which best keeps the interest and motivation of the learner high. The sheer force of discipline is usually not enough to sustain one throughout the long hours required to learn a foreign language.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

gfross wrote:
Scribo wrote:Interesting rant, I would agree totally with you if one's only goal was to be able to read texts as literature. However as a Classical Philologist, yes composition is immensely helpful with a vast range of things I shan't waste my time listing.
(blush) Yes, I was on my soapbox, wasn't I. Sorry about that. As I continue to think about AG pedagogy, I have come more and more to realize that some (many?) students of AG are not really interested in focusing on developing their reading skills. My reason for studying AG is to be able to read it as easily as possible, so that is why I am focused on the development of reading skills. My irritation arose from the fact that I had not been able to find a beginning AG grammar that placed reading as primary; so many were traditional grammar-translation in orientation. However, I have now found a very good text for me: Anne Mahoney's _First Greek Course_ and accompanying reader, _Rouse's Greek Boy_. It is evident that Mahoney has a good background in linguistics, as well as Greek, and she has put this knowledge to excellent pedagogical use in her texts.

Composition from English to Greek has always seemed to me the most unnecessary activity in a study of Greek -- maybe an intriguing and delightful one, but still unnecessary --, unless one is a student in an educational system that will eventually require him or her to write a composition as part of their examination procedure. Heh, this is your "pragmatic American" talking now. (grin)

Would you name one activity that composition of this kind has helped you with as a Classical philologist? I'm just curious. I have always thought that philologists were more interested in studying the cultural aspects of a particular language or language family than in composing essays, plays, stories, or poems in one of the languages in which they specialize.
No need to blush, though I myself feel somewhat sheepish replying right now since you appear somewhat swamped by responses.

It's interesting that you find the new "Greek Boy" so useful, I was flicking through the review of it a few days ago and it seemed interesting: http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/2011/2011-02-54.html

In general most of the modern Greek books are pretty bad, so this seems like a step in the right direction at least. I'm suprised that you think that not many people are interested in developing reading skills :S from what I've came across most people, providing they can reasonably well enough to pass an exam are happy. The thing is, when one is presented with an exam paper which one half are gobbets of literary/stylistic, historical and linguistic accuracy and the other on widing ranging essay topics you pretty much need to be able to ready fast from the get go just to get through enough material for exam prep, no one is asked to translate, it's a given that if you can't read fairly fluently and if you're not well read you're going to fail. Clearly we're looking at this from opposite ends in that we have different goals here.

As for Philology in general one finds his command of the language much heightened, in particular it helps with vocabularly retention, stylistic nuances and even sensitivity to register. I can't completely explain it, but for example...with Greek, having been taught Attic and doing most of my reading in Homer (as well as speaking Modern) I often find that, since composition, I'm somewhat more sensitive to various subtelties....especially the way in which the language is changing.

I think that anyway, regardless of your goals, a tiny bit of composition shan't hurt anyone.

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Hi gfross.

Thanks for these thoughts. I agree that Mahoney's reprint of Rouse is helpful. You are right that we need more readers like this, and that they have to be easier than the ones presently out there. A Greek comic book would be great! You should write one!

[ χαιρε gfross

ευχαριστω σοι υπερ των γνωμων σου. συμφημι οτι το Ελληνικος Παις Οικει του Ρουσε ωφελιμον εστιν. συ λεγεις ορθως λεγων οτι χρεαν εχομεν πλειων τοιουτων βιβλιων. δει ταυτα τα βιβλια ευκοπα ειναι. το Ελληνικον "comic book" καλον αν γενοιτο. ποίει, παρακαλω ]

Calvinist wrote
At the end of the day, the most effective method for learning anything is that method which best keeps the interest and motivation of the learner high.
I agree!

[ το αυτο εγω λεγω. ]

(I'm writing in Greek because I hope it will improve my reading fluency. I got the idea from Adrianus over on the Latin forum.)
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Markos wrote:Hi gfross.

Thanks for these thoughts. I agree that Mahoney's reprint of Rouse is helpful. You are right that we need more readers like this, and that they have to be easier than the ones presently out there. A Greek comic book would be great! You should write one!

[ χαιρε gfross

ευχαριστω σοι υπερ των γνωμων σου. συμφημι οτι το Ελληνικος Παις Οικει του Ρουσε ωφελιμον εστιν. συ λεγεις ορθως λεγων οτι χρεαν εχομεν πλειων τοιουτων βιβλιων. δει ταυτα τα βιβλια ευκοπα ειναι. το Ελληνικον "comic book" καλον αν γενοιτο. ποίει, παρακαλω ]

Calvinist wrote
At the end of the day, the most effective method for learning anything is that method which best keeps the interest and motivation of the learner high.
I agree!

[ το αυτο εγω λεγω. ]

(I'm writing in Greek because I hope it will improve my reading fluency. I got the idea from Adrianus over on the Latin forum.)
For I agree, I think "συνφωνω" might be better

Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Scribo, your point gets into what I've said before: words don't have meanings, rather meanings have words. Your suggestion of συνφωνω may be more "literal", but Markos' might be more idiomatic while expressing the same meaning.

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gfross »

Thanks, all, for your replies and comments! And thanks, Scribo, for the link to the review of Rouse's Greek Boy! The more I read in Mahoney's First Greek Course, the more enchanted I am. She has really produced a magnificent first-year textbook. Very high initial learning curve. Not a text to breeze through at all. But very clearly worded and designed.

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gfross »

by pster » Tue May 24, 2011 8:34 am

Gordon, I don't know whether you are right or wrong, but I absolutely love your conviction. Hehe. We had a meaty discussion a few months back:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11778

It would be fascinating if you could peruse that thread and give us your take on it. Many methods are discussed. I, in particular, would like to know what you think about Schliemann's method. If you do comment, please put your comments in that thread. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your reply, pster. Schliemann really had a Type A personality, didn't he. (chuckle) I would never choose to learn a language using his method. I hate memorization. (I hate using flashcards.) I do like grammar, learning about the structure of a language, so I don't mind studying that. I will usually get hold of a copy of the "essential" grammar of __________ (fill in name of language here) and go through it quickly in order to get an overview of its structure. Did that recently for modern Greek (Essential Modern Greek Grammar by Douglas Q. Adams) because I wanted to have a brief overview of the most important grammatical features that differed from those of classical Greek. I enjoy doing plenty of grammatical exercises. I do not enjoy writing translations from English into a foreign language, an activity I was required to do again and again in high school and college. Nor do I enjoy writing down a translation from a foreign language to English; I much prefer reading those translation passages in the foreign language, with English equivalents coming to mind whenever and however they come. When I have learned the basic grammar of a language and have a tolerably sized recognition vocabulary, I like to read an original work with a translation or two into English at hand to refer to whenever I come across a word whose meaning I don't know. I LOVE Kindle and having both an iPhone and an iPad Touch: I download the original to one and a translation into English on the other. Then I don't have to carry books around. I prefer reading imaginative prose (novels, short stories, and plays) to anything else.

Became interested in dramatic literature around 1970 when I went back to school to study for a Ph.D. in French and comparative literature (French and English). Was required to choose a 150-year period in both literatures to study, so I chose 1530 to 1680 and a particular genre (I chose drama). Was interested in learning classical Greek in order to read the plays of that period in the original, since they influenced French and English drama and criticism so greatly. Took a course in reading Xenophon, Ἀνάβασις, (was the only student) and one in reading a few of Plato's dialogues. Then I ventured into drama on my own. Well, I have to say, I was shocked by the complexity of Aeschylus -- almost as complex as Sanskrit, I thought. So after struggling through the opening lines of one of his plays -- I forget which one -- I stopped my self-study of Aeschylus (no professor at Catholic University of America was teaching drama at the time), vowing to take it up later when my reading ability in Greek was much, much improved. That never happened, though. Had to leave school before I finished the Ph.D., so there ended a tale. I did, however, eventually read all of the Greek plays in translation.

Have babbled on enough and varied from the topic, so I'll stop here.

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

It is funny how there are so many people who like to talk about how much they love to write Greek and how great it is, but so few of whom have signed up for June Composition Month! :D

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gfross »

pster wrote:It is funny how there are so many people who like to talk about how much they love to write Greek and how great it is, but so few of whom have signed up for June Composition Month! :D
:D

Aluarus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Aluarus »

I have been learning Latin for the last 3 years, and I have finally achieved a nice range of fluency that allowed me even to compose some poetry. However, I didn't start greek until almost 7 months ago, unfortunately, and I have frequently questioned myself about the best way or method to learn these languages.

In my opinion, the main problem on greek learning is the lack of graduated books covering everyday life vocabulary. People tend to focus too much on grammar, I mean, learning declension tables, trying to learn verbs memoriter and so on. For me that's not the point. One should never start learning greek by reading classical authors, perhaps that would have been for me like trying to learn english reading, say, Shakespeare. Those were not books intended for language learning, but wise treatises on philosophy, history, whatever, to be read mainly by people who: (1) Could speak greek fluently because it was their mother tongue (2) They had learnt greek also by speaking with real greeks (for instance: cultivated romans) (3) Were cultivated people on those areas, that usually studied under rhetoricians, philosophers, etc.

So, I wouldn't encourage people to start reading classical authors until they have achieved a certain fluency on grammar, and that can only be done by reading graduated texts which can cover different morphological and sintactical areas separately. For instance, one can know english grammar quite well (present infinitive 3rd person adds ''s'' or ''es'' to the root of the verb... let's say) but if one doesn't know vocabulary, all effort is worthless. One can know the uses of english verbs, but if you don't know how to say ''Help. Please'' even that, you can be in trouble.

Now, I found about a month and a half ago a text which has been a tour de force for my language learning:
John Stuart Blackie, On Self-Culture, 4th ed. (Edinburgh: Edmonston and Douglas, 1874), pp. 32-36:

(1.) If possible always start with a good teacher. He will save you much time by clearing away difficulties that might otherwise discourage you, and preventing the formation of bad habits of enunciation, which must afterwards be unlearned.

(2.) The next step is to name aloud, in the language to be learned, every object which meets your eye, carefully excluding the intervention of the English: in other words, think and speak of the objects about you in the language you are learning from the very first hour of your teaching; and remember that the language belongs to the first place to your ear and to your tongue, not in your book merely and to your brain.

(3.) Commit to memory the simplest and most normal forms of the declension of nouns, such as the us and a declension in Latin, and the A declension in Sanscrit.

(4.) The moment you have learned the nominative and accusative cases of these nouns take the first person of the present indicative of any common verb, and pronounce aloud some short sentence according to the rules of syntax belonging to active verbs, as—ὁρῶ τὸν Ἥλιον, I see the sun.

(5.) Enlarge this practice by adding some epithet to the substantive, declined according to the same noun, as—ὁρῶ τὸν λαμπρὸν Ἥλιον, I see the bright sun.

(6.) Go on in this manner progressively, committing to memory the whole present indicative, past and future indicative, of simple verbs, always making short sentences with them, and some appropriate nouns, and always thinking directly in the foreign language, excluding the intrusion of the English. In this essential element of every rational system of linguistic training there is no real, but only an imaginary difficulty to contend with, and, in too many cases, the pertinacity of a perverse practice.

(7.) When the ear and tongue have acquired a fluent mastery of the simpler forms of nouns, verbs, and sentences, then, but not till then, should the scholar be led, by a graduated process, to the more difficult and complex forms.

(8.) Let nothing be learned from rules that is not immediately illustrated by practice; or rather, let the rules be educed from the practice of ear and tongue, and let them be as few and as comprehensive as possible.

(9.) Irregularities of various kinds are best learned by practice as they occur; but some anomalies, as in the conjugation of a few irregular verbs, are of such frequent occurrence, and are so necessary for progress, that they had better be learned specially by heart as soon as possible. Of this the verb to be, in almost all languages, is a familiar example.

(10.) Let some easy narrative be read, in the first place, or better, some familiar dialogue, as, in Greek, Xenophon's Anabasis and Memorabilia, Cebetis Tabula, and Lucian's Dialogues; but reading must never be allowed, as is so generally the case, to be practised as a substitute for thinking and speaking. To counteract this tendency, the best way is to take objects of natural history, or representations of interesting objects, and describe their parts aloud in simple sentences, without the intervention of the mother tongue.

(11.) Let all exercises of reading and describing be repeated again, and again, and again. No book fit to be read in the early stages of language-learning should be read only once.

(12.) Let your reading, if possible, be always in sympathy with your intellectual appetite. Let the matter of the work be interesting, and you will make double progress. To know some thing of the subject beforehand will be an immense help. For this reason, with Christians who know the Scriptures, as we do in Scotland, a translation of the Bible is always one of the best books to use in the acquisition of a foreign tongue.

(13.) As you read, note carefully the difference between the idioms of the strange language and those of the mother tongue; underscore these distinctly with pen or pencil, in some thoroughly idiomatic translation, and after a few days translate back into the original tongue what you have before you in the English form.

(14.) To methodise, and, if necessary, correct your observations, consult some systematic grammar so long as you may find it profitable. But the grammar should, as much as possible, follow the practice, not precede it.

(15.) Be not content with that mere methodical generalisation of the practice which you find in many grammars, but endeavour always to find the principle of the rule, whether belonging to universal or special grammar.

(16.) Study the theory of language, the organism of speech, and what is called comparative philology or Glossology. The principles there revealed will enable you to prosecute with a reasoning intelligence a study which would otherwise be in a great measure a laborious exercise of arbitrary memory.

(17.) Still, practice is the main thing; language must, in the first plaoe, be familiar; and this familiarity can be attained only by constant reading and constant conversation. Where a man has no person to speak to he may declaim to himself; but the ear and the tongue must be trained, not the eye merely and the understanding. In reading, a man must not confine himself to standard works. He must devour everything greedily that he can lay his hands on. He must not merely get up a book with accurate precision; that is all very well as a special task; but he must learn to live largely in the general element of the language; and minute accuracy in details is not to be sought before a fluent practical command of the general currency of the language has been attained. Shakspeare, for instance, ought to be read twenty times before a man begins to occupy himself with the various readings of the Shaksperian text, or the ingenious conjectures of his critics.

(18.) Composition, properly so called, is the culmination of the exercises of speaking and reading, translation and re-translation, which we have sketched. In this exercise the essential thing is to write from a model, not from dictionaries or phrase-books. Choose an author who is a pattern of a particular style—say Plato in philosophical dialogue, or Lucian in playful colloquy—steal his phrases, and do something of the same kind yourself, directly, without the intervention of the English. After you have acquired fluency in this way you may venture to put more of yourself into the style, and learn to write the foreign tongue as gracefully as Latin was written by Erasmus, Wyttenbach, or Ruhnken. Translation from English classics may also be practised, but not in the first place; the ear must be tuned by direct imitation of tbe foreign tongue, before the more difficult art of transference from the mother tongue can be attempted with success.
As I have said, people try to learn too much at once by reading those grammar books. They think composition is the goal when learning Greek or Latin. I think it's actually the way.

In my opinion one of the best ways to learn is, based on the text supra:

1. Find some graduated books and use at least two of them at once (Assimil, Athenaze, A Greek Boy at Home...)

2. Read a little time everyday.

3. Use flashcards (I have 2 separated groups, one for greek verbs, one for nouns, and so on) instead of vocabulary lists, once a day or once every two days...

4. Write easy sentences like: I see the sun. I have no children (Οὐκ ἔχω τέκνα), I have a book...

5.When you master the main morphology points (number, gender, easy active present verbs, and contract verbs), keep going through the graduated series of texts, and make changes in your sentences whenever you find new grammar points (future, aorists, relative pronouns...) and changing the words of the sentences using new vocabulary. For example you can have writen: I have a book, [Βιβλίον ἔχω] and change it to: I will have a book [Βιβλίον ἕχω]. Or “I have a book which is on the table” [Ἔχω βιβλίον ὃ ἐπὶ τραπέζᾳ ἐστιν.] Then change the vocabulary mantaining the structure, suppose you now have some clothes... on a stool... or you HAD some books on a chair, and some below the chair...and so on.

6. Translate from your book some sentences covering important aspects of grammar. After some time, get back to your translation, and turn it into greek.

7. Also learn vocabulary of everyday life so you can have a journal or a scrapbook, and describe things...

Well, I'm running out of time, I hope someone can understand what I wrote in English.

Valete. Χαίρετε.
“Captivæ Graeciæ lingua in paucorum Eruditorum memoria hodie vivit; laborandum est, ne omnino intereat linguarum pulcherrima” Balbinus, Verisimilia Humaniorum Disciplinarum, XII, 3.

“In omni disciplina infirma est artis præceptio sine summa adsiduitate exercitations” R. ad Herennium, III, 40.

LCN
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LCN »

What I did was spend about two months reading a Greek grammar book, then immediately start reading Plato and Aristotle using Perseus as a dictionary. (There's a great Iphone app).

If your interest is in reading Greek texts I would spend zero time on composition or memorizing vocabulary lists. That kind of thing might just burn you out and in any case is unnecessary.

I would also start with Aristotle rather than Plato for a number of reasons, unless you are not interested in either.

I don't understand why people beat around the bush so much instead of just diving into the texts. That is assuming you have a genuine desire to read them. If you don't you might get discouraged by the constant interruptions to look up vocabulary (which will be a lot faster with the Iphone app at hand).

Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sinister Petrus »

Aluarus wrote:1. Find some graduated books and use at least two of them at once (Assimil, Athenaze, A Greek Boy at Home...)

Ok, I did get myself up to speed over the summer. I did take AG in college 15 years ago, so I had forgotten almost everything. I had taken a few not-so-serious runs at it in the past. So, I got serious this time. All I did was 1 and 2.

I cannot tell you that number 1 has a key point. *At least two at once.* I used books that favored connected reading to exposition on grammar. I did zero exercises. I read, and read, and read, and read. I had JACT's Reading Greek, Athenaze and Safire's Ancient Greek Alive. I made it about halfway through the first and very nearly all the way through the other two. Each book took a slightly different approach. When I felt I was nearing speed, I peeked into Roberts' and Major's Plato Transitional. Didn't like it and dropped it (the material, not the approach). I'd guess I read north of 200 pages of connected Greek.

I got a copy of Steadman's Herodotus Histories Book A and devoured it. It took a few dips into the book to find where I could pick up reading Herodotus. I was still reading my graded readers while I was trying to find my entry point to Herodotus. Once Herodotus clicked (Book 1, Chapter 86 if it makes any difference), I switched over to Herodotus. It took me a bit short of two months to pull the trick, but I did read book 1 of the Histories. I could *not* have done it without the vocabulary and notes on-page. Steadman probably gives a bit too much help, but this is probably better than suffering through endless graded readers. In any case, if you know what's going on, skip the notes and vocab. In the early stages, I would check a translation to make sure I was on track and re-read portions.

As for point 2, I'd say I averaged over an hour a day at this. Every day. No breaks. I completely dropped the graded readers once I had the hang of Herodotus. I've since been fiddling with Plato's Symposium. It's ok, but not as compelling as Herodotus to my mind. I'll finish it anyway. There are some grammar points I'm fuzzy on. There are some vocabulary items I should be better at. I figure they'll come as long as I work at it.
LCN wrote:If your interest is in reading Greek texts I would spend zero time on composition or memorizing vocabulary lists. That kind of thing might just burn you out and in any case is unnecessary.
I'd agree on composition. It has its place, but basic reading skills isn't it.
LCN wrote:I don't understand why people beat around the bush so much instead of just diving into the texts. That is assuming you have a genuine desire to read them. If you don't you might get discouraged by the constant interruptions to look up vocabulary (which will be a lot faster with the Iphone app at hand).
Can I get an amen? And if you don't like the dictionary (which I don't for 99% of my purposes), find a text that has the vocabulary on page. Nothing teaches reading AG like reading AG. I won't say that my method is the only way at it, but it worked for me. I'm not the expert of experts, but I can do what I set out to do.

stephenesherman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by stephenesherman »

I want to thank cb (Chad?) for his detailed, thoughtful post. It is the most helpful thing I have run across in my five years of independent Greek study.

Whether one uses his ten categories or some other system is somewhat irrelevant. The key thing is to focus on why one encounters a "stall." What is the general rule, principle, word-building concept, or whatever that is causing the stall? That is the issue and that is what to focus on. It bears repeating that complete mastery of Chad's ten categories is hypothetical or aspirational.

I bought almost all the linked resources. (There was one dead link.) I found Tiarks' verb book and Adams preposition book to be especially useful. (Adams is a delightful, easy read, bedtime reading, if you will.) Sidgwick also looks good, but will require careful attention. Dover's word order book was beyond me. Another Greek student recommended F.W. Farrar's A Brief Greek Syntax and Hints on Greek Accidence, another typically Victorian, judgmental approach. I love it.

I have more thoughts, but as a newbie, I better let it go at that, for now.

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Post by rustymason »

In addition to flashcards, I memorize short stories from easy readers. I am building up a vocabulary while seeing all the words in context, and can recall unusual usages from simple sentences more easily. It's the only way I can learn how to use prepositions properly -- the dictionary definitions just don't stick. Being able to recite a Greek story from memory is a cool dinner trick, too.

JCC
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JCC »

I have a Classics minor and I had two years of Attic Greek language from San Diego State University. I love continuing to learn more Greek and I do it on my own. Actually, if a class was available near to me ( I live in Germany), I’d enroll in it. Regarding those below who want to read the likes of Aristotle, this is advanced reading as are Plato and the tragedians. We read Xenophan’s Anabasis my second year in a good edition by Mather & Hewitt. It has lots of good explanations for the beginner. See Chad’s lengthy advice below for his excellent feedback for an assortment of questions. I thoroughly agree that the New Testament in koine is much simpler than 5th and 4th century B.C. Attic Greek. If one learns Attic, the N.T. seems easy. Koine has some different constructions that are easy to adapt to and, I think, the N.T. has about 80-100 new vocabulary words. I still consider myself an advanced beginner and for the question asked below, there are a number of good beginner Attic Greek books available. Myself, I have 5-6 intro books; each has its own special sections that explains questions that arise when I am studying Attic. I also have several other books to aid my efforts, e.g., identify verb forms, Liddell & Scott’s lexicon, Smythe’s book (I seldom use it, but it has interesting Greek language background material and other explanations, etc. For a short introductory book that’s easy to read, covers most main points of Attic, and good for reference, I have Chase & Phillips “A New Introduction to Greek”, 3rd edition, 1961. My professor bought them for his students who were interested in purchasing one from him. I’ve had mine for years and I constantly use it for reference. It’s just one of the 5-6 mentioned above. Hope this information helps those people interested in learning Greek.

Phaedo
Textkit Neophyte

Re: What if all I want is Aristotle?

Post by Phaedo »

cb wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:43 pm - for the meaning of words i would include in the base knowledge pre-reading rouse (1899), demonstrations in greek iambic verse, available online: http://www.archive.org/stream/demonstra ... 1/mode/1up
etc.

(E) ranking difficulty of authors.

I would rank (from hardest to easiest):
- aeschylus’s lyric (you need to distinguish in drama the chorus from the rest of the play – the chorus is much tricker) followed by
- the lyric of sophocles and euripides, then
- aristophanes and demosthenes (for different reasons: aristophanes because of the vocab and antiquities of common life, demosthenes because of the syntax), then
- thucydides (although some passages of thucydides are very tricky), then
- the iambic parts of aeschylus, then
- the iambic parts of sophocles, then
- the iambic parts of euripides, then
- aristotle then finally
- plato.

cheers, chad :)
Dear Chad,

I am a new member of Textkit and I have just recently started to learn ancient Greek. I found the forum a few days ago and I have fully read many topics on methods to that end. I have started to design a method for me, based on the guiding and useful comments of members –among them, yours also. I would like to ask you a question or two, and I would be more than happy to read your response; but only if you ‘ve got the time to do so, of course.

On another post of yours, I pretty much liked your advice on starting with a non-literary text, rather with something by Euclides, for example. Would you suggest Hippocrates also for start? (As far as ranking difficulty of authors, I was surprised that you didn’t mention Xenophon or Herodotus).

I did found all the books you suggested. The only one I couldn’t found (cause of a dead link) was your own “annotations to iambic composition exercises here […] : http://mhninaeide.webs.com/grkiambiccomp-23-apr-06.pdf”. Would you be kind enough to share your annotations once more? If there are reasons that you’d prefer not to, it’s totally understandable, of course.

Thank you very much!
Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P26qPwrifc8

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

Hi, and welcome to Greek!

If you're just starting out, your best bet is to get a good textbook under your belt first. The thread above was focusing on how to get comfortable reading from there.

On the authors listed, I simply went off those listed in the original post of this thread. On their relative difficulty, see the beginning of the thread: as I noted, ranking difficulty is partly a function of your own background knowledge. I came to classics after having taken degrees in law and philosophy, and so texts like Plato's dialogues were a little less alien to me than, say, the choral passages of Aeschylus (they hurt my head then, and they hurt my head now). Plato's works have become both easier and harder to read since then: I can read them quite comfortably (purely a function of spending a lot of time with them), but continue to discover new things (my personal notes on Plato's Greek now run to 7 volumes...).

On my (very old) iambic composition notes, they've been kept online at another site: http://www.aoidoi.org/articles/GrkIambi ... Apr-06.pdf. However, they'd be overkill when starting out in Greek.

As a last point, I'd definitely update some of the recommendations I made back then: e.g. the treatment of particles in the Cambridge grammar of classical Greek is better than anything in previous grammars etc., although still is no replacement for Denniston and the many author-specific studies on particles, which are absolutely critical to getting your head around these words (once you have your head around the verbs and the particles, you've at least got the right framework for understanding a clause).

Cheers, Chad

Phaedo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phaedo »

Dear Chad,

Sincerely, I thank you very much for your response! I really appreciated that you shared your Notes and, of course, your suggestion on the Cambridge grammar, which I searched for and I have it now on my computer! At some point, I will buy a copy of Denniston and of LSJ, as well as of Kühner/Gerth (my German are a bit rusty, but I won't have a hard time refreshing it, plus my wife is a German teacher and translator, so I'll have for free all the help I may need :D ). Bortone's [2010] "Greek Prepositions" I found very interesting and might also be a future buy.

Textbooks (as that of Hansen & Quinn, I take it) are directed, if I am not mistaken, to those who want to learn AG as a foreign language. I am not sure that this would help me, since I am Greek. What do you think? I started private lessons with a (good) philologist; who also knows his Latin, German and French (no need to mention English, of course).

Yes, my degrees are also in Philosophy (BA, MA) and have read all of Plato's dialogues -some of them many, many times. My thesis even was on Plato; so I have quite an acquaintance with him. :wink: But while Plato seems quite a matching choice for me, I also really wanted to start reading Hippocrates and I was wondering whether he -like Euclides- meets your reasonable criterion of starting with more of technical texts, rather than with literature.

Anyway, I thank you again for all your guiding help and suggestions!

Greetings from Greece,

Γεια και χαρά!
Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P26qPwrifc8

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

Hi Phaedo! I'm out of my depth in advising a Greek how to learn ancient, and on Hippocrates (I had in mind the mathematicians): hopefully others here can help!

If you have come from a background in Plato however, he would be a good target: his Greek (although not quite as 'pure Attic' as the orators) is as good a reason as any for learning Greek!

Cheers, Chad

amiti_blu
Textkit Neophyte

Post by amiti_blu »

Sinister Petrus wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:59 am
Aluarus wrote:1. Find some graduated books and use at least two of them at once (Assimil, Athenaze, A Greek Boy at Home...)

Ok, I did get myself up to speed over the summer. I did take AG in college 15 years ago, so I had forgotten almost everything. I had taken a few not-so-serious runs at it in the past. So, I got serious this time. All I did was 1 and 2.

I cannot tell you that number 1 has a key point. *At least two at once.* I used books that favored connected reading to exposition on grammar. I did zero exercises. I read, and read, and read, and read. I had JACT's Reading Greek, Athenaze and Safire's Ancient Greek Alive. I made it about halfway through the first and very nearly all the way through the other two. Each book took a slightly different approach. When I felt I was nearing speed, I peeked into Roberts' and Major's Plato Transitional. Didn't like it and dropped it (the material, not the approach). I'd guess I read north of 200 pages of connected Greek.

I got a copy of Steadman's Herodotus Histories Book A and devoured it. It took a few dips into the book to find where I could pick up reading Herodotus. I was still reading my graded readers while I was trying to find my entry point to Herodotus. Once Herodotus clicked (Book 1, Chapter 86 if it makes any difference), I switched over to Herodotus. It took me a bit short of two months to pull the trick, but I did read book 1 of the Histories. I could *not* have done it without the vocabulary and notes on-page. Steadman probably gives a bit too much help, but this is probably better than suffering through endless graded readers. In any case, if you know what's going on, skip the notes and vocab. In the early stages, I would check a translation to make sure I was on track and re-read portions.

As for point 2, I'd say I averaged over an hour a day at this. Every day. No breaks. I completely dropped the graded readers once I had the hang of Herodotus. I've since been fiddling with Plato's Symposium. It's ok, but not as compelling as Herodotus to my mind. I'll finish it anyway. There are some grammar points I'm fuzzy on. There are some vocabulary items I should be better at. I figure they'll come as long as I work at it...
[ my bolds ]

This thread is fascinating and helpful for a newcomer, thanks.

For me, what makes sense is the idea of jumping in to read a Greek text you already have an interest in and know the background to.

So, having been 'sold' on Steadman (above), I intend to read his commentary of Plato's Symposium.
It's wonderful that Geoffrey Steadman's site contains so many free digital files and core vocabulary pdf's. How generous.

OK, so the reading is 'intermediate' and I'm only a beginner but I reckon it's worth trying out. What do you think - too much already ?

Of course, another learning method is to listen. I've already downloaded Plato's Symposium from Librivox. If nothing else it helps me to sleep at night.
However, there's no Greek version as far as I can tell.

I also like to read the text as I listen.
However, it's not always easy to find matching translations.
Any ideas ? Help ?

markcmueller
Textkit Member

Post by markcmueller »

If you want to listen to the Greek while you read Plato, Julius Tomin has audio files for Socrates Apology, Crito, Meno and Phaedo. Geoffrey Steadman has commentaries for all of them. Tomin's site is http://www.juliustomin.org/greekreadaloud/plato.html

Mark

amiti_blu
Textkit Neophyte

Post by amiti_blu »

markcmueller wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:13 pm Tomin's site is http://www.juliustomin.org/greekreadaloud/plato.html
Mark
Thanks for the link, Mark.
I read Tomin's Note on Pronunciation. Although admiring Jowett, he seems critical of his translation.

Enjoyed reading his Introduction. His explanation of what occupies his mind...when reading and listening. Seems to want to immerse himself in the conversation between the characters, Socrates etc., rather than dwell too much on Plato and various interpretations.

I think I will enjoy listening but need to find out where the actual text is.
Perhaps it's there and I've missed it !

amiti_blu
Textkit Neophyte

Post by amiti_blu »

markcmueller wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:13 pm If you want to listen to the Greek while you read Plato, Julius Tomin has audio files for Socrates Apology, Crito, Meno and Phaedo. Geoffrey Steadman has commentaries for all of them. Tomin's site is http://www.juliustomin.org/greekreadaloud/plato.html

Mark
Re Steadman's commentaries, I've downloaded some from his website. Would be wonderful if he could incorporate audio.

There has to be a niche market for a YouTube presentation:
An enactment of Plato's Symposium with subtitles !

amiti_blu
Textkit Neophyte

Post by amiti_blu »

amiti_blu wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:55 pm
markcmueller wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:13 pm If you want to listen to the Greek while you read Plato, Julius Tomin has audio files for Socrates Apology, Crito, Meno and Phaedo. Geoffrey Steadman has commentaries for all of them. Tomin's site is http://www.juliustomin.org/greekreadaloud/plato.html

Mark
Re Steadman's commentaries, I've downloaded some from his website. Would be wonderful if he could incorporate audio.
Thanks, Mark and others, for all your help.
Re my search for matching text and audio - εὓρηκα :D

Xenophon's Anabasis - Greek edition by E.C. Marchant.

Steadman (free pdf)and Librivox (reader: bedwere)

https://geoffreysteadman.com/xenophon-anabasis-i/

https://librivox.org/anabasis-by-xenophon/

( a link at librivox for the text takes you to:
https://archive.org/details/operaomniarecogn03xenouoft )

[The Gutenberg English translation is by H. G. Dakyns.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1170/11 ... k2H_4_0003 ]

If bedwere is here and taking requests for a future project:
Plato's Symposium, please 8)
Reading through some of the threads, there seems to be a demand...

This is all new to me, so forgive me if it's all been said and found before.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

In AG, as in Latin, and as in literary French, I find it more pleasurable to try to read a sentence than to try to memorize a paradigm.

So, I spend much more time on the sentences. Some time ago, I tried Plato's Apology of Socrates, and finding it too hard for me, I fell back to the Greek New Testament to regroup my forces. The advantage of the Greek NT is the existence of NT Greek lexicons that parse every single word in the NT. After working my way through the gospel of John and the Acts, I returned to Plato, which is going much better.

I use the IOS app Attikos, which is almost as helpful as a NT lexicon.

I write out the sentence by hand, in a spiral notebook. In my notebook, a line looks something like this:

A Greek Phrase [ a blank space] the English or Translationese equivalent
Another Greek Phrase [ another blank space ] Another English . . . etc.

I don't guess word meanings; I look'm up. For nouns, I do guess the case, number, and gender (mutatis mutandis, I also guess for the other parts of speech). If I get it wrong, then I find the lemma, and seek a paradigm for memory refreshment. Recently, I bungled on a noun with an eta ending, guessing dative singular. When I couldn't devise a good meaning, I found the lemma, and reviewed the noun paradigm. Well neuter nouns exist with eta endings in the nominative and accusative plural--I had forgotten that. That is consistent with my memorizing efforts: no matter how much I drill, I quickly forget much of what I hoped to inscribe in memory. Most days I do some memory work, but no longer expect to have all the forms memorized. I use Mastronarde's web page for drill. For self-quizzing, I use the iOS LIberation Philology app.

I also strive to identify phrase breaks in a sentence, even before I look up the words.

When unsure of a sentence, I read the English translation, for meaning, not for grammar, and then go over the sentence again. With the English meaning in mind, I nearly always can see the Greek grammar. Now I have another hard place, worth study.

So, I keep plugging away. Maybe I will live long enough to be able to "just read" something in ancient Greek.
Hugh Lawson

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Mark
I didn't know anything about Tomin nor his work. Thank you very much!

jcabraham
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jcabraham »

pster wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:36 pm I am going to memorize Demosthenes's Third Philippic starting March 1st. It is 10 dense pages, about 75 relatively long sentences. I think I am going to memorize it first without looking up words I don't know. Then I will look up whatever words I haven't been able to figure out. I'm hoping that I won't want to look up any grammar when I'm done with those first two steps. Schliemann seemed to vary his approach over the years and not sure what he would say his polished method was. Anyway, I think it is going to rock!
I did that in grad school. The famous first paragraph took me a 90 minute car ride. It got harder the farther in. Now I think I should have started from the end.

I think memorization and the reading of books we already know in another language are both good ideas from former ages we would be well to emulate. For me, having been an altar boy, and attending mass for 20 years, the Greek New Testament was very easy. Good luck!

persequor
Textkit Member

Post by persequor »

Hi cb,

Similar to Steadman's editions are those by Faenum Publishing. They have a reader's edition of Hippocrates' On Airs, Waters and Places with running notes on vocab and grammar on each page. Rated as intermediate. They publish both a paperback edition and also have a free digital edition (PDF download). Link:

http://www.faenumpublishing.com/hippocr ... laces.html

Hope this helps!
Dewayne Dulaney
Devenius Dulenius
Carpe diem!-Poēta Rōmānus Horātius, Carmina (Odes), a.C. XXIII/DCCXXXI A.U.C.
Blogus meus: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/