[quis]quis amat valeat...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
cdm2003
Textkit Fan

[quis]quis amat valeat...

Post by cdm2003 »

At the end of Lingua Latina I.XXXI, there is mention of an inscription in Pompeii which begins "[quis]quis amat valeat..."

I was curious if anyone knows if there's a photo floating around of the actual inscription? I tried doing a google images search and only could find photos of drawings or copies of the inscription.

Thanks,
Chris
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: [quis]quis amat valeat...

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve Chris!
Chris wrote: At the end of Lingua Latina I.XXXI, there is mention of an inscription in Pompeii which begins "[quis]quis amat valeat..." I was curious if anyone knows if there's a photo floating around of the actual inscription?
I did not find a photo of this very inscription. However, in the small (300 KB) PDF-booklet Taller de grafitos amorosos de Pompeya I found a photo on page 5 which gives a good impression how these scratchings on the walls of Pompeji looked like.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gfross »

cdm2003 wrote:At the end of Lingua Latina I.XXXI, there is mention of an inscription in Pompeii which begins "[quis]quis amat valeat..."

I was curious if anyone knows if there's a photo floating around of the actual inscription? I tried doing a google images search and only could find photos of drawings or copies of the inscription.

Thanks,
Chris
Isn't the illustration of the inscription given alongside the text enough? Just curious. Isn't it a photo of the inscription?

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Carolus Raeticus wrote:Salve Chris!
Salve Carole! The link to the pdf you provided was very helpful. Gratias tibi!
gfross wrote:Isn't the illustration of the inscription given alongside the text enough? Just curious. Isn't it a photo of the inscription?
It's an accurate drawing...but still just a drawing. There were a few of those around the net too...just no actual photographs of the wall. Thanks though.
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Ecce!

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

I wonder if that's the actual inscription rather than an imitation... seems too 'readable' to be actual Latin cursive...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!