Principal parts online?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
pster
Textkit Zealot

Principal parts online?

Post by pster »

Is there anyplace where I can get principal parts easily online? The best I have come up with is Bailly. LSJ requires you read the whole entry and weed out non-Attic forms.
http://home.scarlet.be/tabularium/bailly/index.html

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Principal parts online?

Post by NateD26 »

You can also check Smyth's List of Verbs.
The pdf copy is better for that purpose.
Nate.

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

pdfs aren't really convenient. I want something in HTML. Of course the link I provided now was ultimately to a pdf so I'm a bit of a hypocrite. But it is only one page at a time and so is much faster. That would be a good project for us. And maybe it would increase traffic. Have an Attic principal parts list. Just one monster HTML list. Could do the same thing for epic and Koine? Maybe I'll start my own Attic site and put that list in the center ring!! Hmm. Tempted.

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

I would help with the creation of such a list. :)
Nate.

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

Kaegi's Greek Grammar has a nice list of irregular verbs with their principle parts.

Not html, though.

Smyth has been digitalized, including the appendix with verb list (check here)
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

There is this, but it's Greek to German.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

Thanks Lex! Perfect. And although I haven't learned German yet, there is an easy work around for that site. You just use Lingoes which gives you awesome mouse over definitions. Somebody really needs to set up Lingoes for LSJ especially with all the forms in Perseus. No reason one cannot just mouse over Greek and get something even better than Perseus, namely the form, e.g. 2. pl. subj. etc, and the whole definition from LSJ or Middell Liddell. All the hard work has already been done. Perseus was set up in the early days of the internet. We are beyond that now with mouse over boxes. It is a lot faster. Like dial up to cable. I use it every day for other languages and I get a reading speed close to English.