Textkit Logo

[quis]quis amat valeat...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

[quis]quis amat valeat...

Postby cdm2003 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:37 pm

At the end of Lingua Latina I.XXXI, there is mention of an inscription in Pompeii which begins "[quis]quis amat valeat..."

I was curious if anyone knows if there's a photo floating around of the actual inscription? I tried doing a google images search and only could find photos of drawings or copies of the inscription.

Thanks,
Chris
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae
cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Re: [quis]quis amat valeat...

Postby Carolus Raeticus » Mon May 23, 2011 10:12 am

Salve Chris!

Chris wrote:At the end of Lingua Latina I.XXXI, there is mention of an inscription in Pompeii which begins "[quis]quis amat valeat..." I was curious if anyone knows if there's a photo floating around of the actual inscription?

I did not find a photo of this very inscription. However, in the small (300 KB) PDF-booklet Taller de grafitos amorosos de Pompeya I found a photo on page 5 which gives a good impression how these scratchings on the walls of Pompeji looked like.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Fan

Postby gfross » Tue May 24, 2011 12:02 pm

cdm2003 wrote:At the end of Lingua Latina I.XXXI, there is mention of an inscription in Pompeii which begins "[quis]quis amat valeat..."

I was curious if anyone knows if there's a photo floating around of the actual inscription? I tried doing a google images search and only could find photos of drawings or copies of the inscription.

Thanks,
Chris

Isn't the illustration of the inscription given alongside the text enough? Just curious. Isn't it a photo of the inscription?
gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Postby cdm2003 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Carolus Raeticus wrote:Salve Chris!

Salve Carole! The link to the pdf you provided was very helpful. Gratias tibi!

gfross wrote:Isn't the illustration of the inscription given alongside the text enough? Just curious. Isn't it a photo of the inscription?

It's an accurate drawing...but still just a drawing. There were a few of those around the net too...just no actual photographs of the wall. Thanks though.
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae
cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Postby MiguelM » Thu May 26, 2011 12:31 am

Ecce!
MiguelM
Textkit Fan

Postby furrykef » Fri May 27, 2011 12:32 am

I wonder if that's the actual inscription rather than an imitation... seems too 'readable' to be actual Latin cursive...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
I also have a lang-8 journal where I practice Spanish and Japanese.
furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Open Board