Word Frequency Lists

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Word Frequency Lists

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvi sitis!

I have uploaded a TAB-limited file (about 76 KB) to my homepage containing the word frequencies of 4,173 words in anthologies of Latin prose, poetry, and medieval literature as given in Paul B. Diederich's The frequency of Latin words and their endings.

It contains only the Latin lemmata, and proper names have not been excluded yet either, but it might still be useful for anyone trying to master the vocabulary by concentrating on those words that count (sorry for the pun ;-)).

You can find it here.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

ethan101097
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Word Frequency Lists

Post by ethan101097 »

Awesome! Thanks a million! I do not know if this link is posted anywhere else on the forum, but it is similar and I have found it helpful. It is not nearly as extensive, but there is a section which lists verbs which are related by prefixes which pretty neat: http://www.bu.edu/mahoa/vocab200.html

Hampie
Textkit Member

Post by Hampie »

Carolus Raeticus wrote:Salvi sitis!

I have uploaded a TAB-limited file (about 76 KB) to my homepage containing the word frequencies of 4,173 words in anthologies of Latin prose, poetry, and medieval literature as given in Paul B. Diederich's The frequency of Latin words and their endings.

It contains only the Latin lemmata, and proper names have not been excluded yet either, but it might still be useful for anyone trying to master the vocabulary by concentrating on those words that count (sorry for the pun ;-)).

You can find it here.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
If thou hast these by hand written, great thankfullness shall be given thee! What is a TAB-limited file exactly and what is the purpose of it as opposed to ther PDF files?
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve Hampie!
Hampie wrote:If thou hast these by hand written, great thankfullness shall be given thee! What is a TAB-limited file exactly and what is the purpose of it as opposed to ther PDF files?
I meant a CSV-file, which is a way of exporting a spreadsheet (e.g. from Excel) into a text file. TAB means "tabulator", the character used to separate one column from the other. The purpose of this format is to make it possible to easily import the file into a spreadsheet programme for further processing.

The CSV-format is far better for the purpose of this file than a PDF-file, plus it has a lower memory footprint.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.