Capitalization in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ferrous
Textkit Neophyte

Capitalization in Latin

Post by ferrous »

I was speaking with someone I knew earlier, and they mentioned that capitalization in Latin changes the meaning - that, for instance, "optima" with the first letter capitalized means "optimist" instead of what the Unicorn dictionary defines it as: the superlative form of "bonus, bona, bonum".

I ask you Textkitters for verification. There hasn't been any mention of it in Wheelock's so far, and it is a bit mind-boggling since I was taught that the Romans didn't have capitalization. Could it be a quirk of Ecclesiastical Latin or something uncommon?

dlb
Textkit Member

Re: Capitalization in Latin

Post by dlb »

The only reference to capitalization that I found is from Bennetts, Section 1, in which he states,
"With the Romans, who regularly employed only capitals ..."

Also, from Omliglot (http://www.omniglot.com/writing/latin.htm)
"There were no lower case letters, ..."
&
"The lowercase letters developed from cursive versions of the uppercase letters. "

Hope this helps in some small way.
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

No but you should invite him to a Duella or a Proelia for that...
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Classical Latin did not have a lower-case/upper-case distinction. That (among other things) is a later orthographic invention. As far as I know, medieval Latin was written according to the punctuation/capitalization rules of the writer's native language. In fact, medieval Latin is many times grammatically influenced by the writer's native tongue in areas such as word order, semantic range of words, etc.

LaurentiusH
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LaurentiusH »

Salve
ferrous wrote:I was speaking with someone I knew earlier, and they mentioned that capitalization in Latin changes the meaning
Maybe the person you were speaking with alluded to chronograms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronogram), where capital letters are used both as a letter and a number?

Vale

Imber Ranae
Textkit Member

Post by Imber Ranae »

Sounds like someone was telling you nonsense. I can't think of any situation in which Optima could mean "optimist".
Ex mala malo
bono malo uesci
quam ex bona malo
malo malo malo.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

"Optima" with a capital letter would likely be the name of a person (or divine being or something), who might be an optimist, but there's no convention I've heard of for capitalizing words to change their meaning. There are many different conventions for capitalization in modern Latin. One way to do it is to follow exactly the same rules as English. Likewise you could follow, say, the same rules as in Spanish, where names of people, cities, and countries are capitalized, but names of (say) languages or adjectival forms of place names (like "Italian" as opposed to "Italy") are not. Some Latin writers don't even capitalize the first word of a sentence, though some such writers still capitalize proper names.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!